Unlimited Data to 2GB -Regrets?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nburwell, Feb 28, 2011.

1. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Currently I have unlimited data with my AT&T plan. I have been considering going down to the 2GB plan since I average roughly 300MB/month from analyzing my past usage on when I log into my account. I don't stream any video on 3G, I'll occasionally listen to ooTunes on my way to and from work, but not for long periods of time. Whenever I'm at home, I'm connected to my home wifi network. So I don't think I would ever go past the 2GB cap if I went with that plan.

However, I'm looking for opinions from those of you who have made this switch. Do you regret and/or recommend it?

2. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have 2gb of data a month. The most I've used in a month is 320mb. So, no, no regrets.

3. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

If you don't care about tethering, is the extra $5/mth really that big a deal where if you NEED the extra data it wouldn't be worth it? $60/yr? I've never gone over the 2 GB allotment but the peace of mind is worth the extra $5 to me.

4. huskerchad macrumors regular

For my phone, no. For my iPad, maybe. I did use more than 2GB the first month I had it, but then didn't need the data plan and let it lapse so I am no longer grandfathered.

The thing is, $60/year will buy you a lot of overage gigabytes.

5. nburwell thread starter macrumors 68040

nburwell

That's the thing, it's really not that big of a deal with saving $5/month. Although I do get a FAN discount off the data plan with my company. So I'm paying $25/month right now for unlimited, and that would go down to $18/month with the 2GB plan. I just know that I would be more conscious about my data usage since I had that 2GB limit on my plan.

6. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'm keeping mine for as long as possible because even though I might not need it now eventually AT&T will unlock more services over 3G. Things like facetime, netflix, and location services. I want the ability to use as much data as I can and for $5 I'll keep peace of mind and not worry about it.

7. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Considering the same move unlimited to 2GB just to Save $5 only BC I do not use more than 600 MB and that is when I am not near WiFi at all.

I also do not have the need to tether.

8. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I've kept my unlimited, and I'm glad. I'm at 3GB so far this month. Netflix and slingbox use a lot. There is no wifi at the gym or work, so don't lecture me on being a data hog.

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

We don't have an unlimited option here but my plan is 500MB and it's plenty for me. I don't really do any streaming on 3G and at home and work I always have wifi.

10. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

no regrets for me. I'm averaging 500-800mb a month, especially since I've been using wifi a lot more often at home.