Unlimited Data Upgrades

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jfong425, Sep 11, 2014.

?

Will carriers allow unlimited grandfathered users to stay unlimited?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  3. I don't care

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. jfong425 macrumors member

Now that everything is announced and pricing is available, do you think carriers will allow those grandfathered unlimited data folks to keep their unlimited data?

2. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Yeah, but they'll throttle you so bad that you'll want to switch

3. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what you mean? Verizon makes it very clear that if at any point you upgrade a line that has UDP then you will be forced off of it, no exceptions (except loopholes obviously). The release of the iPhone 6 makes no difference as far as I know?

4. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

We'll see how much Verizon ULD is worth keeping later this fall. My contract has been up for 2 years now. If it's slow, I'm out!

5. JSalig macrumors 6502

If you live and/or work inside a major metropolitan area unlimited is probably not even worth holding onto due to severe congestion. This coming from a Verizon customer in the DC area.

6. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Verizon already eliminates your grandfathered unlimited data plan if you get a new subsidized phone. The only way to prevent it is to pay full retail for the phone.

Once one carrier does this (and gets away with it) you can bet your bottom dollar the others will follow suit.

7. TAZ911 macrumors member

ATT has allowed me and the wife to stay on the unlimited plans to this point. We do get throttled at 5gigs but it hasn't been bad yet. Hoping that we get to keep the unlimited this time around as well

8. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Unlimited Verizon works great in NYC.

9. brittany0613 macrumors member

AT&T will still allow grandfather'ed unlimited plans. Never had an issue with throttling.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Just sour grapes from a Limited data account user.

----------

Not had an issue here either. On vacation I used 7gb of data and it never slowed down. I know others who have used way more and not been throttled.

11. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I am with AT&T and will be able to keep my unlimited plan.

12. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

AT&T iPhone 4 --> Samsung Galaxy S3 - went from the unlimited 3G plan to unlimited LTE plan, no issues whatsoever.

(The unlimited 3G throttles at 3gb, unlimited LTE throttles at 5gb)

I'm already eligible for upgrade (mine was up in Aug) and did my "pre-test" on the page last night - no problems test-buying the phone but keeping the same unlimited plan.

A lot of people seem worried about it, but this is my third phone on AT&T grandfathered unlimited and I don't expect to have a problem.

13. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

Unlimited Data Upgrades

I've been throttled 3 months in a row, and it's the first time it's happened to me in 7 years with AT&T.

I'll stick with it though, I can still do most things even under throttled conditions.

14. ctbaz macrumors member

15. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Actually I have unlimited bro, on 2 of my personal phones. So I am well versed in this situation

16. overfedexed macrumors member

Work around

My wife has the Verizon UDP and they offered her a six gb data plan AND she can get the subsidized pricing on the 6.

It does mean that she has to give up the Unlimited, but she only uses 3gb a month, so we might go for it.

17. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

My GF is faced with the same thing.

18. overfedexed macrumors member

So they offered her the 6gb option?

19. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I stuck with Sprint WAAAAAY too long just because their data is all unlimited and unthrottled. But I never used anywhere near what my data cap would be on Verizon, so it eventually dawned on me that I was accepting a junk network for an invalid reason. Boom. Moved to Verizon and never looked back! :)

20. biosci macrumors 6502a

ATT throttles at 5gb (lte) in heavily congested areas... What areas those are, who knows what's the limit. In the Chicago are, I get throttled.. But when I went to Nashville, no throttle... Go figure..

21. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Yes, Although she may get my 5s and ill buy a 6 full price which..... I'm not thrilled about. I have unlimited too.

22. Dmal99 macrumors 6502

i caved a few days ago after years of unlimited with the coming launch of the iPhone 6 plus.

guess what, i already noticed a speed increase.

coincidence? i think not.