Unlimited Data with Tether on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by disarticulate, Sep 27, 2011.

1. disarticulate, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

disarticulate macrumors regular

Has anyone been able to add tethering to their AT&T data plan and keep unlimited data?

I've been using Cydia's MyWi pretty much since it was created, but when I got the iPhone 4 I tried to do the right thing by adding the AT&T tethering. When I called AT&T to do this, they told me I could only do it if I switched to the limited 2GB/mo data plan.

This seems a little counter intuitive... add tethering and decrease my monthly data allotment. No thank you.

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would think the two a separate.

One is unlimited data on 3G service while the other is for tethering. I would stick to your MiFi then

3. disarticulate thread starter macrumors regular

You're confusing MyWi tethering application in the Cydia store with a MiFi mobile hotspot.

4. jacollins macrumors 6502a

You aren't legally allowed to do this, and from reports, AT&T's been tightening up detection and auto-switching people from unlimited to the limited plans.

Counter intuitive to who? The phone company that wants to suck you dry while providing the least amount of service?

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's how it's been for over a year.

You can thank the people who jailbreak and then tether and suck down 50 gigs of data off the 3G network each month just because they can.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I used my iPhone 4 as a Comcast replacement for the last month before I moved, and I was only able to reach 26GB :(

7. wvphysics macrumors regular

The tethering plan comes with 4GB, you actually get 2GB more with the tethering plan than the non-tethering. However, that only came about to match verizon's tethering offer, before that it was 2GB for the tethering plan as well. However, the rationale for the reduced allotment was because people who tether typically suck up more bandwidth and cause more network congestion. At least that is ATT's stance on it.

8. disarticulate thread starter macrumors regular

How can you blame them if they never had another option? I jailbreak/tether and use anywhere from 1GB-6GB/month depending on travel. I don't abuse it, I just use it when I'm at a hotel that charges $15/night for WiFi.

Like I said, I've been using jailbreak/tether via MyWi for over 2 years and AT&T hasn't said a word to me.

9. TC25 macrumors 68020

Since your question is specific to what ATT offers, this has nothing to do with legal or not legal as someone else posted.

ATT does not offer unlimited data on any plan. If you had unlimited data, you can keep it. Make a change, e.g., add tethering, you lose it.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I am glad that AT&T highly restricts tethering. Some always take advantage and would do nothing but degrade the network.:mad:

AT&T is no worst than the other carriers except T-Mo which offers such crappy coverage, they do not count!:eek:

AT&T has been good to me. If your two years are up, go elsewhere and stop your whining! Put on your "marching shoes" and go to T-Mo! AT&T will own you no matter what in the end!:p

11. TC25 macrumors 68020

They have to take off their bedroom slippers before they put on their marching shoes. :D

12. disarticulate thread starter macrumors regular

Seems to me like you're the one who's whining. I was just wondering if it was possible for me to do the right thing. Guess I'll just stick with MyWi and be perfectly happy. Enjoy your Edge data speeds on "T-Mo." :D

13. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Well, he was talking about using a jailbroken app to do tethering prior. I was responding with that in mind. :)

14. wvphysics macrumors regular

Keep in mind that ATT has been cracking down on people who tether without a tethering plan. When they suspect someone is tethering they will send a message saying that tethering has been detected and they will automatically put the account on the tethering (non-unlimited) plan. I am also guessing that the tethering detection isn't exact, since some people have still been able to tether without being contacted, but many have been. Not that there is any other option, just don't be surprised if at some point they automatically switch the data plan.