Unlimited data with the 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surfologist87, Oct 17, 2011.

1. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

I have an iphone 4 that i got around July, and have the 2gb data plan.
    I know there were a few people who got the iphone 2g and activated it on itunes and got the unlimited data put on. I was wondering if this was still good and if someone could confirm that this still works?

Last i looked a couple weeks ago it still was, but i couldnt find anything tonight.

And just to make sure, i need a new sim for the 2g, correct?
    Thanks

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes it still works as recently as Oct. 7.

Here is the full thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1124040

You will have to do some work and depending on the type of account you have you may not get automatically switched to the $30 data plan but just follow the steps and it should work.

Yes, you should use a new Mini-SIM for the activation in the original iPhone and yes, you have to restore as new and you should only use iTunes for the activation of the original iPhone. That way you get the option to select the $20 iPhone Unlimited Data Plan.

Swing by AT&T and see if you can get one of the new combined SIM cards that has a Mini-SIM that you can snap down to a Micro-SIM.

If you go to the store or call customer care your odds are somewhat random depending on the skill of the rep.

Dave

3. surfologist87 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you! i gave the thread a good read and i will be doing it to mine and a a couple friends phones.

4. iprime macrumors member

Is it true that if you do this trick, the employee discount would be taken off?

5. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Didn't for me

15% discount on voice plan

Did unlimited data plan trick last year with my Nokia flip phone

6. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

question: does this trick only work for new lines?

or could I get an existing line to have unlimited data?

I have an iphone 2g -- i just need the microsim/sim card adapter thingy

7. azhagan macrumors member

It will work, a friend borrowed my 2G to do just that, I would use the 2G for a week before jump back to the 4S though.