Unlimited International Data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by agtprvctr, Dec 5, 2009.

1. agtprvctr macrumors newbie

I am traveling to Asia in a few weeks and I would like to bring my iPhone 3GS with me. However, as you are all aware AT&T is a huge rip-off when it comes to international data packages, $200 for 200mb or something retarded. So I suddenly had an idea, people in my family have world Verizon BlackBerry's (the Tour and the 8830) with Verizon SIM cards. Since Verizon allows you to temporarily go on an international data plan (I believe it's ~$100/month prorated for unlimited data access), couldn't I simply call up Verizon to put my relative's BlackBerry on the international plan and then put the SIM card into my unlocked iPhone? Has anyone out there tried this? If so, any idea whether the billing gets screwed up somehow since the Verizon phone is still being used domestically while its SIM card is being used in another country?

FYI I have searched the web for an answer to this and even managed to find posts from others that have the same question, but they unfortunately got misguided answers from retards that say things like "Verizon doesn't use GSM or SIM cards, period!" or "GSM and CDMA are totally different technologies you dummy!". Hopefully there is someone intelligent/knowledgeable out there that can answer this. Just to set the record straight for the aforementioned retards: while it's true that Verizon does not use GSM domestically, the BlackBerry Tour, 8830 World Edition, Storm, Storm 2, and certain aircards all come with SIM cards so that you can roam on GSM networks that have service contracts with Verizon while outside of the U.S. I'm looking at using a Verizon SIM card because it's unlimited international data access unlike AT&T's rape-and-pillage rates; and also this way there is a good chance my relative can continue to use his BlackBerry as usual domestically while I take his SIM card out for a spin internationally.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I didnt know Verizon had unlimited data international packages.
    Double check on that to make sure.
    You might have some problems with Verizon covering up the data costs while the account is beeing used in the US and at the same time in Asia.
    I think the simcard wont work internationally unless its used by his activated blackberry device listed on his account. And you can only have one phone activated at once.
    Why not just pick up a local simcard for data? It could be cheaper and with less headaches and not having to worry about a huge bill when you come back home.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. There is a limited use $69.99 "email access" international plan on Verizon that will give "unlimited email access" in certain countries, but it's apparently limited to push email solutions and POP3 connections, only. For the web or anything that doesn't run on POP3 or Push ports you're SOL.

They do have a "Global Access" mobile internet plan, but the pricing is actually slightly more expensive than AT&T ($219.99 for 200MB, and then only within 32 countries on Verizon, as opposed to $199.99 for 200MB on AT&T in over 90 countries).

If this is what you really want to do though, then in theory, if your iPhone is unlocked and Verizon isn't doing anything tricky with the SIM that locks it to their global phones somehow, then it should work. But the poster above me hints that that indeed, Verizon does lock down their SIMs to specific devices, so this might not work even with an unlocked iPhone.

In any case, I'd research the places you're going and check to see if they have any WiFi there. That's likely your best bet.

And for what it's worth: International data is expensive because the carriers there can get away with charging huge fees for data from international roamers. AT&T and Verizon aren't providing the network there, and they have to pay the foreign carrier whatever fee they insist on. This is why AT&T and Verizon are much more resistant to crediting people with high international roaming bills.

4. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Too good to be true... I've never paid that little in Asia.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    AT&T or any US carrier has no say on what international cell companys would charge roaming customers for data depending on what country you visit or what network your phone will connect to.
    I know alot of international providers dont even offer unlimited data and they charge either pay as you go or in packages with different amounts of data depending on the price.
    Im sure Verizon couldnt get it and offer it cheaper and with different terms than the current roaming company sells theirs to its local customers.

6. agtprvctr thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys I appreciate the replies, I'm pretty sure my relative gets unlimited data access though as he's gone out there multiple times and I've had to call Verizon to set up the temporary plan; they've always said it's unlimited. Also if you see the plan here:

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Global_Email/plans_coverage.html

The Asian countries in question (China and Taiwan) are covered under the "Unlimited E-mail" plan. I will call Verizon to make sure, but I'm pretty sure even though it says "Unlimited E-mail", it's essentially unlimited for any data service that the BlackBerry would use (i.e. Google Maps, BBM, Web Browsing, etc). My family has never gotten any extra charges from using Google Maps or the web browser overseas.

Applejuiced raises a valid potential problem with whether the iPhone is able to accept such a SIM card or vice versa. I think if I run into that problem I might be able to try this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/how-get-iphone-run-bb-data-plan-348311/

I understand my situation is not the most common and it seems like nobody's actually attempted this or at least never posted it. I think what I will do is take the 8830's SIM card with me, then when I arrive in Asia, test things out first with the SIM card from the relative who is actually going with me on the trip and has the Tour, if it works somehow I will call Verizon and have them activate the 8830's SIM card for international roaming..

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

8. emuyshondt macrumors member

AT&T does offer an unlimited international plan under some of its corporate "Foundation Accounts". If you have a corporate plan of any kind and depending on who you work for you might be able to sign up for it. It costs $69.99 or something like that and replaces the existing data plan so it is really a $39.99 adder to the normal plan.

The plan is listed along the Blackberry plans. I can't remember the exact name, but I talked to an AT&T customer service person about it last week (dialed 611 from my iPhone) and they confirmed I could get it on my account. You do have to keep it for at least 1 year and there's a $175 early termination fee if you cancel before then.