Unlimited iPhone 4 data if with AT&T for years?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docprego, Dec 4, 2010.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

My sister has been with AT&T for years and has unlimited data, currently on an Android phone. If she got an iPhone 4 can her unlimited data plan be attached to the iPhone 4?

Also if that is possible is their any way that she could add me on so that I could also get an iPhone 4 with unlimited data? Finally could I pay separately for my line if she is able to do this?

2. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

The way I understand it, you can only *keep* your iPhone unlimited data plan if you previously had it before the plan was discontinued. Your sister currently has an android phone and therefore does not have the iPhone unlimited data plan. That would be a no to your question.

But, you should really just call ATT and ask them, that's the only way you will know for sure; I'm just some schmuck regurgitating information gleaned from tech blogs.

3. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

If she has unlimited data, it will follow her to any phone she uses as long as she keeps the option. From what I understand if at any point she opts out of having unlimited data, she can't get it back. If you don't have att already and open a new line, you can't get unlimited data by asking or using your sister for leverage. There is a way to get unlimited data and it involves the original iPhone. Google or search the forums for how to do that.

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

This post is correct. As long as you have an unlimited plan you can switch to another unlimited plan. I've spoken to reps who have been difficult with this policy but had to oblige if you're persistent. You would not be able to receive the unlimited plan though, you had to have had it prior to June 4th.

5. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

But can she add a second line (that I would use) and have unlimited data on an iPhone 4 on that line?

If that is possible is their any way for her to transfer that line to me?

6. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

She can add a line but you wouldn't get unlimited data unless you do the original iPhone trick. Unlimited data isn't transferable to another line and if she opened up another line on her account you would only have the three options they currently have since it's a "new" line. The original iPhone trick is really not that hard to do. There's a whole thread on how to do it that should be on page one or two of the iPhone section we are in now.

7. gto1988 macrumors newbie

This is true, you can keep unlimited data, the iPhone will work with an android unlimited data plan, I've put my sim in a Captivate, with my iPhone data plan and the internet worked just fine, the only phone that requires the data to be changed is blackberries.