Unlimited Mifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rufuss Sewell, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

I'm in a full time touring band. Our biggest bill after gas is our huge phone bill. At $15/gb our AT&T bill is often over $1000. There has to be a better solution.

We prefer the big networks since a lot of our time is spent driving through the desert. But at this point we're desperate for relief from this huge bill. Unlimited would be best, but 100gb would probably do.

Any mifi or satellite suggestions? This would be installed in a tour bus so it has to be mobile.

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

You might check with Millenicom out of Oregon. They have a 20 Gig Nationwide HotSpot plan for $89.99 a month, and if you call them they may be able to expand it to your wish of 100gb.

https://members.millenicom.com/members/order.php?step=1&productGroup=23&product=106

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Post a link to your youtube if you have one so we can have a listen.

4. nemanracing macrumors newbie

I know everyones experience with Sprint is varied, and service depends on where you are at, but if you have a business tax id you can start a business account and they still offer an unlimited mobile broadband plan.

5. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Get a att mifi, the most expensive one I believe it's called the liberate. Get a grandfathered att iPad unlimited data plan. That particular mifi takes a sim and will work with the plan. Unlimited data no throttle for 30 a month

6. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

a 50GB Verizon Mobile Broadband plan costs $335/month. With Verizon you're going to get LTE Service in most places; while AT&T will fallback to 4G/HSPA+ on the freeways.

7. campyguy macrumors 68030

Take me with you. Drop me off anywhere, I'll be fine...

Millenicom is a good option with that linked-to plan. I've a few friends who RV about, and you could read this:
    http://www.technomadia.com/2014/04/millenicom-verizon-hotspot-price-increase-no-joke/

There's some helpful information in it. What most VZW users don't know is that VZW also has 100GB-200GB plans, but you'd need to call in and ask for pricing. Millenicom, which is here in Portland where I live, is good to subscribe to - and no-contract gives you a chance to try them out; they provide data in 20GB chunks - buy what you need, cut them loose if it doesn't work out.

VZW offers a different option - essentially, per diem. One can change the data plan almost daily - sign up for 10GB, call in an change it to 200GB and use what you need, then modify your plan again and you'll be billed for what you use.

What I did was different. I bought an Apple iPad (two, actually) and AOL'ed two old data lines I bought the rights to on eBay. The eBay costs were about $150 each, no charge for the AOL, and I used an iPhone 5 to secure a microSIM card for the two iPads. Mobile Hotspot is allowed by VZW on the iPad at no extra charge, although I could put the SIM into any device VZW sells. Both iPads are on my "National Family Plan" as managed devices, and I pay $30 for data and $10 for device access - for UL data and tethering. I watched Coachilla on my MBP while tethering via one of my iPads - in rural Mason Co WA I was getting 35 DL and 15 UL - better than the motel's internet!

AOLs require a 1-year commitment, but I don't know if VZW is still allowing AOLs (Assumption of Liability). The only downside of VZW is their fallback network is slow - EVDO is solid, but slow when compared to ATTWS's 3G/4G network. Gotta run, good luck.

8. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

How much does Verizon charge for this 200GB plan?