Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Just thought I'd share that Mozy - a great online backup tool - has released a mac version of their backup client.
I've only just started mucking about with it, but so far it seems like a great service.
The free version gets you 2GB of online storage and for $4.95 you get unlimited storage!
Worth a look: http://www.mozy.com

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Just subscribed and currently starting the long process of uploading 100gb of music.

So far so good. Excellent experience so far. The sets that are similar to Backups quickpicks make it real easy to automatically back up bookmarks, iCal, Address Book etc.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
100gb?!!?

I've been working on 1.6GB of random stuff just to try it out, and that's been going for 4-5 hours now. It says 3.5 hours to go!

I hope your upload speed is better than mine (1 Mbit) ;)

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I'm about to sign up, so if you has a referral code they want me to put in, pm it to me (very soon). You get free space if you sign up a few people.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
How much would "unlimited" be?

is this a trick question?
:)
I'm assuming unlimited really is unlimited. They just go on the assumption that most people will back up max 100GB or so and make their capacity calculations on that basis. They do stress that it is not designed for corporate entities.

I just signed up for the unlimited account and in the process of uploading about 40GB of data. Right now it says that its going to take a good 8 days! I'm hoping that's a hefty overestimation!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
wow. i might have to give this a try. they've caught my interest at the very least. it does make .mac look terrible though. but since more and more alternatives to it are coming out, so much the better.

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Excellent! I've been hoping they'd come out with a Mac client. Nicely done, good file selection dialogue, and a Menu Bar Extra. I'm currently getting ~ 350kb/sec upload.

If you sign up, please use my referral code 7GD273 so we can both get some extra free space! :D

benmadrid

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2007
Madrid
Thanks for pointing out the menu bar thing, just spent 10 mins trying to work out how to get it to start backing up again!

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Dropping connection

I'm having some problems with the Mozy client dropping the connection to the server from time to time. Maybe my internet connection is just playing up... anybody else encountering similar problems?

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
100gb?!!?

I've been working on 1.6GB of random stuff just to try it out, and that's been going for 4-5 hours now. It says 3.5 hours to go!

I hope your upload speed is better than mine (1 Mbit) ;)

18Mbps connection :D

Its still going to take the best part of a week though.

While Mozy is 'unlimited', it basically just syncs a machine of your choice. You cant arbitrarily just add data to it from different external hard drives for example. So technically you are limited to whatever the size of your hard drive is.

Still an excellent price and effectively insurance for my muziks.

winchest

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2006
I have not been able to figure out how to get the Mozy client to recognize my iTunes library on my external drive. Anyone have luck with this?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I have not been able to figure out how to get the Mozy client to recognize my iTunes library on my external drive. Anyone have luck with this?

haven't played with it. But I have 22GB of iTunes. I was trying to figure out how unlimited 'unlimited' is. :)

It would be nice to have my photos and itunes backed up remotely.

arn

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
haven't played with it. But I have 22GB of iTunes. I was trying to figure out how unlimited 'unlimited' is. :)

It would be nice to have my photos and itunes backed up remotely.
I was thinking the same thing.

I have about 160GB of photos, music and videos that I want to back up.

Probably take a year to make a backup! ;)

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
As I said in a previous post, you cant just upload any machine or external hard drive. It effectively only syncs one machine at a time. Its basically $4.99 for each hard drive.

winchest

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2006
As I said in a previous post, you cant just upload any machine or external hard drive. It effectively only syncs one machine at a time. Its basically $4.99 for each hard drive.

I was curious how you got the Mozy client to recognize your external drive. I cannot seem to get it to see it therefore I cannot back up my iTunes directory.

Thanks

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Ok, this actually seems like a good idea...

...but why does it have to be so frelling s l o w . . . ? I started a 1.4 GB backup last evening, and now - 12 hrs later - it's about half done... :(

At this rate I'm not going to go for the unlimited ed. to backup >50 GB of music... it would take more or less forever... :mad:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

...but why does it have to be so frelling s l o w . . . ? I started a 1.4 GB backup last evening, and now - 12 hrs later - it's about half done... :(

It's simply a factor on your upstream connection. Most people have very slow upstreams (cable, dsl), so it will take a long time. The good news is that subsequent updates will be much shorter since they do differential updates (only what's changed)

arn

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands

At this rate I'm not going to go for the unlimited ed. to backup >50 GB of music... it would take more or less forever... :mad:

Yeah that's the problem with a lot of consumer broadband connections; most have a very low upload speed. If you have less than 1 Mbit up, its going to be painfully slow.
I did 1.6 GBs on my home connection and it took about 8-9 hours. I was quite pleased with it. I'm now doing a full 42GB backup of my music, photos and documents. Says it still has 10 days to go :eek:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I (at least should) have 1Mbit up speed on my ADSL, but according to the Mozy Backup Status the speed is around 20-60Kb/s, with just a few peaks at around 100Kb/s (but also slowdowns down to ~10Kb/s), nowhere near what I should be getting...

Now, I know this - at least in part - has to do with the fact that I'm backing up lots and lots of small files, that typically will be slower than one giant file with the same, total weight, but still... :(

Oh, well... patience is not only a card game... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.