Unlimited Plan Transfer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BlackMax, Jun 28, 2010.

1. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

There is a guy local to me selling his 16gb, 3g+wifi iPad. His iPad was purchased before the June 7th unlimited plan cut-off date.

If he sells his iPad to me can he transfer his 3g service to me or will he have to cancel and I'll have to order new 3g service? If the latter, will I be able to order the unlimited plan or will I only be able to get the limited plan?

I'm trying to decide whether I should purchase this 16gb 3g+wifi or just purchase what I really want, a 32gb 3g+wifi. If I can get the unlimited plan I'm thinking it might be worth going with the 16gb iPad.

Any advice?

2. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I say if you can get seller to meet you at an Apple store to get a new SIM and check it out, but most sellers would have no incentive if it doesn't transfer and you back out.
    I'd like to know this too.

PS- 1- I just googled that TOS, transfer of service, for iPhone accounts is common at ATT. but iphone has a contract, contracts can be transferred, ipad plan is not an official contract, it is prepaid, so it is probably handled differently. no discussion of Unlimited plan tho.

PPS- 2- just called ATT. was told the iPad Unlimited data plan can be transferred to another buyer, it follows the device, which, if it was originally sold before June 7 you can get it.
    But the iPhone Unlimited data plan can not be transfered because it IS a contract set up with a particular contractee.

PPPS - 3rd answer from ATTs website- for account transfers-
    The receiving consumer account holder (the person taking over the account) must adhere to the following requirements:

* Must be at least 18 years of age:
    * A credit evaluation is required.
    * The new account owner must accept the remaining contract term from the date the transfer takes place.
    * An $18.00 Transfer of Service Fee (per line) will be assessed.
    * A current rate plan must be selected. Expired rate plans are not eligible for transfer.

so who knows?!

3. BlackMax thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Thanks gigaguy for all the research and information. It sounds as if it is a crapshoot. If I purchase this iPad I will definitely let you know how it goes with AT&T.

4. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Yes, I'd like to know this too, cause if I sell my 3G, it could increase it's value if someone wants the Unlimited plan. I locked in the Unlimited plan but really don't need it, and am mad that I have to buy it every month or lose it now.
    these were not the terms when I bought it.

5. BlackMax thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Hi gigaguy,

Just wanted to let you know that I didn't pick up that iPad off of criagslist, so we still don't know if AT&T's unlimited plan can be transferred or not. I walked into my local Apple store and they had a 32gb wifi-3G iPad available so I got that instead.

6. Tr3p3 macrumors newbie

I just spoke with AT&T because I'm thinking of selling my iPad to my brother. They said that I can transfer my unlimited plan to him by doing the following.

Settings --> cellular data --> view account --> Edit user and payment detail

Then change all the user and payment detail to who you are selling it to. I haven't tried yet, but it seems pretty straight forward. She told me that altering the user detail will not cancel the account.

This would pose a problem for a random sale though, as either the seller would have go give his log on information so the buyer can change to his, or the buyer would have to give the seller his credit card info so the seller can input it. Either way, someone would have trust the other enough to do that.

I'll let you all know if it works after i try it.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think the plan could only be safely transferred via an in-person sale. The seller and buyer could change the account info at the time they both meet. Anyway, on craigslist I don't see a premium being charged for unlimited capable iPads. I think most people don't care.

8. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Any luck??? I am wanting to get one off of CL and would like to know if this was all it took to transfer it over. - Thanks!!!

9. md63 macrumors 6502

10. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

So for those on the "grandfathered" unlimited $30 plans, if you were to turn it off for a month or 2 (I assume you can do this with it being prepaid and all) and turn it back on later on would you still get the old $30 unlimited plan? Or would u get downgraded to the current $25 - 2GB plan?

11. BruiserB macrumors 65816

If you "turn it off" by letting it lapse for even 1 day, you get downgraded.

12. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Wow, only 1 day turned off and you get downgraded to the current plans? That's lame :(.

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Is it more accurate to say it follows the SIM card? Just curious as I'm wondering what I'm going to do with my unlimited plan when the ipad2 comes out, I was hoping I could just swap SIMs (hardware allowing) and be all set.

14. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Wasn't there talk about apple working on a universal sim that would work on CDMA and GSM towers?

If this is the case, I'm sure another carrier will come out with an unlimited data plan and/or AT&T will re-instate theirs. So you wouldn't have to worry about staying grandfathered.