Unlimited SIM Card Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by downingp, Mar 10, 2011.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

I have up for sale my 16gb 3G iPad locally. I was contacted by a buyer who offered to buy only the unlimited SIM card. My understanding is, he is planning on using it for the new iPad. What would be a good price to sell it at?

Thanks.

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

Well unlimited data micro-sim cards for iPads often sell for more than $400 on eBay. Just how greedy do you feel today? :D

Dave

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

What makes the unlimited SIM card worth so much? They still have to pay the monthly fee right?

4. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Your sim card is worthless to someone else. The unlimited data is tied to your account not the sim.

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

Just buyer demand for unlimited data capability. Yes, they still have to pay the $29.99 per month.

This is for heavy iPad 3G data users.

Dave

6. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why does he want to buy it then?

7. SolidSam macrumors newbie

8. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Because for some reason people think they can just buy a sim card and use the coveted unlimited data plan. It doesn't work that way. They'll still have to activate data and when they do it'll make them pick between 200mb and 2gb and that's it. If you want to sell unlimited data you'll have to give someone the account that has unlimited ipad data. Just the sim won't do it.

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sorry but you are wrong. An unlimted iPad data SIM is worth quite a bit in the secondary market. Just try a quick eBay search...:eek:

The micro-SIM for the iPad can be transferred to a new account. You just need the email address / password to update the account to point to a new email address and or change the credit card tied to the account.

For easy transfer, most sellers would want to tie the micro-SIM to a pre-paid VISA / MasterCard to protect themselves. This give the new buyer a window to make the needed changes before the 30 day renewal period.

Dave

10. gigaguy macrumors 65816

People are reporting easy transfer of the plan to others, by 2 or 3 different means, some by conference call to ATT, some by just following certain steps to transfer it while it is still paid up.

11. dave006 macrumors 68020

Buzz but you are also incorrect! :eek::eek:

There is no need to activate. The iPad is not an iPhone. All iPads in the US are sold Carrier unlocked so there is no need to activate if you already have an active micro-SIM. You just need the account ( email address / password ).

Dave

12. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Ok then. OP don't listen to me apparently I'm a moron. Although people paying that much is pretty stupid but hey if you can get someone to buy it then by all means go make a profit.

13. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I'm not messing with my SIM card. Calling AT&T to make the switch.

14. dave006 macrumors 68020

Because he / she might get it cheap from you and then resell it for it's true worth and pocket the difference.

Again, just spend 10 minutes on eBay or with Google and you will see there is a secondary market for iPad micro-SIMs that have the unlimited data plan still active.

Dave

15. Bheleu macrumors 6502

I have two...

Unlimited plans, got with the iPads. You just need e-mail and pw's for the accounts, and the rest is easy if you follow the link in my ATT unlimited post. I wanted them for my wife and I, and I easily go around 6-8GB/ month on mine. What my wife does not use, I more than make up for it on my end. FaceTime should eat it up too after the upgrade.

I prefer not using someone else's wifi connection, better security using 3G and work cannot breath down my neck either for browsing CL or eBay, always track the spouse, etc.