Unlimited tabs in Safari for both iPhone and iPad?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by lsquare, Sep 28, 2014.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

I left iOS for Android after buying both the iPhone 5 and the iPad 4. At the time my biggest complaint with Safari was that it will start removing tabs after I hit a certain limit. I forgot what it was, but it was like in the low teens. One thing that I like about Chrome for Android is that it truly supports unlimited tabs. It won't remove any tabs that I have opened as I add new ones. In iOS 8, does this still happen for both the iPhone and iPad? I miss iOS and am seriously considering buying the iPhone 6 and this year's iPad.

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I don't know the answer to your question but I have to ask: what in the world would you have 16 or more tabs opened in a browsing session for anyways?

Or, unlimited for that matter?

3. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

You can open up to 24 now which Apple have called "unlimited" in the WWDC presentation.

It's more like a to read later since the tabs keep reloading.

4. X-X macrumors 6502

If you open 1 tab in Safari the iPhone is already out of RAM, so what's the point.

5. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

This is the first thing I do when i jailbreak because I usually have dozens of tabs open. I can't always continue what I'm doing so leaving the tabs open to when I feel like finishing the research is easier than bookmarking and trying to remember later what I was doing

6. afsnyder macrumors 65816

You really should be using a laptop if you are running through dozens of tabs.... o_0

7. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it 24 for both the iPhone and iPad or it's just the iPad?

8. sethlution macrumors regular

My 5S never reloads tab, and I usually keep 3-7 tabs open at any given time. My iPad though is another story. It sometimes reloads pages when switching between 2 tabs (with no background app running) :rolleyes:

9. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

It seems to be 24 on the iPhone. I don't have an iPad to check.

10. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

So after the 24th tab, then the oldest tab will close upon loading the next new tab?

11. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

I've just tried on my iPhone 5 with iOS 8.0.2 and it seems I can open 26 tabs without any of them being replaced.

I've never had any problems with tab limits since iOS 7.

Apple may have made it unlimited in iOS 8.

12. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

More than 24?

Useing my iPad rMini yesterday, I noticed I had lots if tabs open and stsrted to close them. Interestingly enough I noticed that I could move the location of the tabs by sliding them right or left. Also, I could see all of the tabs- they were kind of overlapping toward the left side of the page. I had closed at least three of them before I started counting and I counted 27 that I had closed. I thought that I remembered reading that it could have as many as 40 open at one time.

The term reloading on this site is synonymous with refreshing. Right? Unless you were in the middle of a composition, how would you know that a page had reloaded? Especially with that many open. Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out the complaint.

13. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Hey, its the trolling guy again. Do Samsung pay you cash per post or do they pay you for a block of posts?

14. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

That's correct.

You would notice the reloading when you go to a forum, open a few links in a new tab and switch to one of the earlier tabs you just opened.

15. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

It's not the worst thing in the world, but...

- Reloading can take a few seconds. If you're switching between tabs regularly and they're refreshing then this can be pretty annoying.

- You might have loaded something that should be perfectly fine for offline viewing, but when you come to read it later, it's lost and requires an internet connection to refresh.

- Leaving things in a particular state / the middle of composition isn't so rare you can really dismiss that case.

16. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

I don't take my laptop with me everywhere I go.

I'm not complaining about the limits of tabs, just saying that my workflow is better when I have unlimited tabs. I've easily had over a hundred open on my rMBP when I'm researching something.

17. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Must. Cause I always have tons of stuff open on my phone, and at least 10 open safari tabs cause I have sites I visit every day and keep each in its own tab. Never have run into memory issues on 16 GB iPhone 5.