Unlinking work computer from iCloud?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by playethic, Jan 28, 2015.

1. playethic macrumors member

I'm not certain which category this belongs in…
    I have a MacBook Pro at home. Somewhere along the way, I linked my work computer so that in Safari, my bookmarks bar (on the top ribbon) mirrors my Safari bookmarks bar that's at work. I am thinking that I must have done this on iCloud, probably for some reason logging onto the iCloud at work via my home email address, and linking that computer.
    I'm leaving that job, and don't want my home bookmarks bar - which I'm going to change - to be appearing on that computer at work. I've looked at the iCloud settings and tried to explore elsewhere, but it seems to list no devices… so I can't figure out where to unlink the MacBook Air that's at work.
    Can anyone help?

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Go into iCloud preferences on the work computer and sign out.

3. playethic thread starter macrumors member

But it says 'No Devices'

When I sign in to iCloud on the work computer and go to settings, it says 'No Devices'... so I can't see where to unlink my work computer? Ideas?

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Can you post a screenshot of this? Are you doing this through the icloud.com site or through the iCloud System Preferences pane?

5. playethic thread starter macrumors member

Not sure where to find iCloud System Preferences pane?

I don't know how to get to the iCloud System Preferences pane?

I'm trying through iClouc.com/Settings, and see just this re: No Devices

I'm not sure how I embed an image here (that isn't a URL) but I've attached the screenshot

Attached Files:

6. playethic thread starter macrumors member

Also

The Apple website says that when I click on Apple / System Preferences, i should then click on iCloud... but when I go to Apple / System Preferences, iCloud is not there as an option

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

One of two ways to do this. First you can go to the top right corner where you name is with the arrow and click on the arrow. This will open a menu giving you the option to Sign Out. The other is in System Preferences under iCloud which you state does not appear. Just go to Menu Bar>View>iCloud and it will open for you. It will then give you the option to Sign Out. Posted screenshots to show you. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

It's possible that on a company-issued laptop the iCloud item is hidden for security purposes, my company does/did that. It's likely as simple as locating where the items are located in Finder, un-hiding the applet and then you can use it but tread carefully if it was hidden by your IT department. As you're leaving, that may not be a concern but on the same note, any IT department that cares AT ALL about security will wipe the computer after you leave.

9. playethic thread starter macrumors member

How to sign out of iCloud from a different device than you want to unlink?

Oh dear... the day ended before I got a response and I had to leave the job. I still want to unlink the computer from my iCloud but I no longer have access to that computer.
    Is there another way?

10. DEFabio macrumors newbie

Looking at the browser image provided, it doesn't look like the computer is still linked to your iCloud account. If I'm not mistaken you would have had to manually delete the bookmarks on the computer. Once you linked the computer your bookmarks were saved on each device and updated as changes were made. Even though the work computer is no longer connected to you iClioud, the bookmarks are still saved on the computer. Now bookmarks just won't update as they are changed on your other devices. On the plus side, the computer will probably be wiped before it is reassigned.

11. Dubdrifter, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015

Dubdrifter macrumors member

Dubdrifter

iCloud transparency

It is really remiss that the Apple Programmers have made this Basic important security procedure so difficult for ordinary users - wake up Apple - most people buy Apple for ease-of-use ..... This stuff should be up front and clearly accessible. Now this poor person has to worry who has got access to her personal data. Unforgivable!
    With all the problems people have managing their iCloud accounts, maybe they should rename it iFog.