Unlock 2.0.1 with pwnage - so easy...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gkarris, Aug 10, 2008.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I did it! (I must be a Caveman!) :p

I used pwnage 2.0.2 and my MacBook to upgrade from 1.1.4 my 4 Gig and my 8 Gig backup (I got when AT&T was selling them as refurbs).

Nice, I just used the custom firmware it created (I didn't have to "unlock" twice!).

Everything works on T-Mobile (note: with Total Internet EDGE).

Rather than try to look into the different threads, feel free to ask questions here... I'll do my best... :D

EDIT: BTW, I used this guide:

http://www.modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/Pwnage_2.0_Guide

2. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

can you still deselect the custom images? or do you have to have the stupid pinapple and SJ images when starting up or restoring?

3. DarkFlame macrumors regular

My question is, when I build the firmware with pwnage, and then alt restore my phone from the custom firmware, what do I do to get all my apps, winterboard settings and all that back on my phone.

Are there any specific instructions so I don't try to unlock the phone twice when I am building the custom firmware?

4. DN7335 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately you'll have to reinstall all of that manually...

5. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

go into ssh and back up the files.
    haha

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You can deselect them. You can also install either, both, or neither of installer.app and Cydia. They've done a really nice job of Pwnage.

I did mine this weekend also (from 1.1.4 to 2.0.1, using Pwnage, also on T-Mobile). I actually got a botched IPSW file the first time I tried it -- this seems to be a bug that happens sometimes with Pwnage. The symptom is that Pwnage seems to have successfully made an IPSW file and saves it, and prompts you to go to DFU mode and restore through iTunes, but when iTunes restores the phone, it fails to boot and instead goes back to DFU mode and asks you to restore it again (and would continue to do so ad infinitem). The solution is basically just to make a new IPSW file (i.e. use Pwnage again) and try again with the new file. My second try worked completely fine, and 2.0.1 has been great. :)

As far as re-installing things, yes, unfortunately, anything done through the jailbreaking mechanism, such as apps installed with Installer or Cydia, are toast, and there's still no method to back any of this up or restore it the next time (new in Pwnage however, is the ability to select and download apps using Cydia from the Mac and put them into the IPSW, so that they're automatically installed already upon restore... but still no way to keep settings). Anything that's an official phone setting / feature can be restored from iTunes -- your SMS, your Notes, your alarm clock settings, your Mail, etc.

The one caveat to the above is that some people have reported that, particularly if they both do the restore from backup and use Cydia, their phones slow to a crawl. I didn't install Cydia (actually, I was half a mind to not install Installer either)... FWIW my restore from backup seems fine.

7. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

I've got a question, how does the LOCATE ME feature work for you in Google Maps and other location apps when using Wifi- and when not using Wifi??

I've got a 1st Gen Week 39 iPhone and while I was unlocked on 1.1.3 Locate Me worked fine. Now I'm unlocked on 2.2, Locate Me doesn't work over Edge and only once in a while over WiFi.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So far I have not noticed any delta in performance, but I haven't tried it extensively. I did definitely use it in the presence of Wifi (at home, when I first verified that apps like Twinkle, Yelp, and Showtimes, which all want to use it, were working).

Locate seems to be dragging right at the moment in my office, however... EDIT: Scratch that, it worked fine for Twinkle, and then I went back to Maps and it also worked fine. And it definitely is not making use of Wifi, as it's most decidedly showing the low accuracy location ring.

Now this part might sound goofy, but I wanted to explain one thing. As far as I know, Locate does not generally "work over Wifi" in the sense that it's using your Wifi router at home to locate you. What it does is look for wifi hotspots with listed SSID's in range, and then it checks the list of visible spots against a geolocated database of known hotspots. Your own router at home has probably not been geotagged in these databases, so it may not help at all in locating you. So you know on an EDGE iPhone that hotspots were used because you get tight triangulation of your location, but not necessarily because you are connected to a Wifi source at the moment. You don't even need access to the hotspot -- in fact, the things it especially makes use of are all those AT&T and T-Mobile hotspots, and it is able to use their locations even if you have subscriptions for neither. It works the best when there are multiple known Wifi sources nearby. Does that make sense?

9. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes, it's one of the features in pwnage....

You go into "Custom Logos" and uncheck the ones that are in there, or load your own.... :eek:

It uses triangulation of cell sites, and GoogleMaps over Wifi (if you are logged on) or EDGE.

Worked great along the expressway in Wisconsin...

So so outside of Chicago in the suburbs...

10. slap88 macrumors newbie

11. benny100 macrumors member

Same problem here. Someone help please. Thanks
    ps. I'm using winpwn

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

First, just the obvious one. I know it sounds super obvious, but MAKE SURE that you are pressing alt / option whatever when you click on restore in iTunes, that you are being prompted for the file that Pwnage made, and that you are selecting the correct file. Most of the time, what that indicates (finding your phone is still locked) is that you are accidentally restoring it to the official firmware and not the jailbreaked firmware.

13. slap88 macrumors newbie

Sorry should have put more details in the orig post....Yes, holding option and clicking restore and choosing the ipsw file that says custom

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you using Pwnage in expert or basic mode? Try using expert mode, accompanied by a guide like the one at iclarified, if you need it.

And just checking one more time... we're talking about an EDGE iPhone, right? The iPhone 3G cannot be SIM unlocked at this time.

15. slap88 macrumors newbie

it is not a 3G...it has the brushed metal back. I am using it in expert mode. I followed those instructions as well...the only part that didnt happen was the asking for the bootloader files but I guess it automatically found them

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, I don't think so... actually, I think that's where something went wrong. Did you select the box indicating that you had previously pwn'd the phone or the one saying "no," you had not done so before? If you did yes, try no.... It should be automatically finding the IPSW file, but it should not be automatically finding the BL, at least in my experience (FWIW, but then it actually did work for me, now. ;) ).

17. slap88 macrumors newbie

I am using this guide:

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1557

I have tried yes and no, both with no luck. It finds the ipsw automatically but never asks for the BL files..I read somewhere else that it finds those automatically as well. You are using a T Mobile sim as well?

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I am -- I had to unRAR the BL files and identify them manually, AFAIK. Odd...

19. slap88 macrumors newbie

Yeah it's strange..I have read many posts where people had no problems at all using T Mobile sims.....thats sucks.....dont know what else to do. Thanks for your help anyway!

20. slap88 macrumors newbie

Hmmm...I just deleted the BL files and tried again and it never asked for them...whats up with that?

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Something odd seems to be going on. Somewhere floating around, there are instructions for uninstalling Pwnage Tool / deleting all its libraries and stuff (probably just deleting its folder in ~/library/application support/). PITA, but I would try:

1) Delete all your custom and factory IPSW files and download 2.0.1 from Apple through iTunes again.

2) Download the BL files again.

3) Trash Pwnage Tool and its libraries and reinstall Pwnage 2.0.2

4) Start over. :eek: And do what you're doing, making sure to say "no" to the have you pwn'd before question and using the appropriate bootloader and bootneuter settings.

What should be happening, just as a recap from the last time you might have done it, is that after it restores, when it boots up, it should immediately and automatically run bootneuter to unlock the BL from on the iPhone. Depending on your settings, BN may then uninstall itself. But then your phone should be unlocked. So something is preventing bootneuter from running properly on your phone.

22. slap88 macrumors newbie

Will try that...I am running Leopard could that be a problem with Pwnage?

23. slap88 macrumors newbie

When I unRar the BL files in get two files called BL-39.bin and BL-46.bin...thats what they should look like ...yes?

24. slap88 macrumors newbie

Ok so instead of deleting everything and I just moved to a different Mac that has never had Pwnage run on it...restored to factory settings, downloaded everything new and I get the same thing, it does not ask for the BL files...grrrrr

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So in step 3, you're using these settings for Bootneuter, yes?

[​IMG]

Now this part sounds strange, but are you using custom boot / recovery logos or the standard ones? It shouldn't have anything to do with anything, but I think I have heard of people who had trouble if they... used the custom ones? I think? I'm not really sure (I unselected the boxes so that the Apple logos were retained).

So then when you get to what's listed as step 8 in the iClarified guide (step 8 starts after you've clicked the build button, you're prompted for the bootloader files and possibly asked if you're legit)... does anything happen at this step, or does it go immediately to asking you to save your IPSW?

Is there any place where what happens (i.e. the result of your actions) differs in any way, even if tiny, from the way the iClarified guide shows it?

If none of that is the case, you might try changing the bootneuter options so that you have bootneuter replace the BL on your iPhone (that is, check update bootloader in the screen above and select the appropriate option, which one I guess doesn't really matter).