Unlock 2G before or after activating new 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chupa Chupa, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm getting a 3GS Friday and plan on unlocking my 2G. My question is do I unlock my 2G before activating my 3GS or do I activate the 3GS before unlocking the 2G?

It looks like I want to unlock the 2G first but just want to confirm that is the correct sequence. I don't want to end up with a 2G stuck in emergency mode.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm wondering that as well. I want to sell my 2G/EDGE phone and everyone has said to unlock/jailbreak it first. I wouldn't even know where to go to do that stuff yet.

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I'm in the same situation. Whatever you choose to do, don't upgrade to 3.0 yet - the baseband might get upgraded, which could affect the unlock, and there (obviously) isn't a 3.0 jailbreak yet.

Here's a good place to go to get more information.

4. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Good advice. I was def. planning on waiting until iPhone Dev Team confirmed the unlock. I was watching a couple "how to" videos on YouTube and looks like it really doesn't matter when you unlock since you can unlock a deactivated phone. Given that I'll probably just hold off unlocking until after I get my 3GS up and running.

I have to say its kinda annoying that we have to go through these hoops when ATT will just hand over the unlock key for any other phone once the contract if fulfilled.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I totally agree. Shoot, I wanted to use my old iPhone for my dad's line since I didn't have a use for it. But AT&T won't let that happen, so I'm just gonna sell it. I just hope I can figure out the whole unlock/jailbreak mess.

6. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

As far as I can tell the baseband hasn't changed. It is still 04.05.04_G

7. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Hopefully Apple doesn't sneak one in there at the last minute.

The Dev Team has already unlocked firmware 3.0 on a 3G (visit the link I posted earlier). Hopefully this works on the iPhone 2G, or they have a solution soon. They said they will support all devices that 3.0 runs on.

And another issue - why can't AT&T treat the iPhone as either just another phone, or treat iPhone users better than other users? There's SO much we CAN'T do, even though we give them so much money! Let us unlock our phones after the damn contract's up!