Unlock 3GS 4.3.1 Baseband 05.16.02

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by a27, Apr 14, 2011.

1. a27 macrumors regular

Hello,
    Is it possible to unlock an iPhone 3S on 4.3.1 and baseband 05.16.02 without losing GPS please?

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

No. Currently there is only the 6.15 option, or you could try the new $180 factory unlock being offered that's kinda shady but seems to be working for some people I guess. Those are pretty much your only two options.

3. funwithamar macrumors regular

u could update to the ipad baseband 6.x and unlock it ... but it has its downsides ..

4. a27 thread starter macrumors regular

Please elaborate.

5. funwithamar macrumors regular

for example if u'd want to restore to a stock firmware for some reason (like warranty) u wont be able to bring the baseband to 5.x because the basebad versions only go one way ^ .

and back when this method was first released a few ppl said they and problems with GPS signals , but i havent kept up with it .. im guessing its been fixed, but do check

6. a27 thread starter macrumors regular

The phone in question is out of warranty.
    My concern is the GPS issue and the ability to upgrade to subsequent firmware version.

7. funwithamar macrumors regular

the fact that the dev team has stuck with this method for the last few releases makes me believe that the gps issue is isolated to a very few users, and googling only brings up old threads, so i think u'd be alright .

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=14568&laid=

here is a link to the tutorial, if u decide to go for it.

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The GPS issues affects everyone who has used the iPad baseband. The gps chip in the 3GS is different than the iPad. It has been proven time and again those who thought it was still working were using cell triangulation.

9. a27 thread starter macrumors regular

This is not good.

10. adagio macrumors member

Everything I've read on this issue suggests the iPad baseband is the only current carrier unlock option, and it will kill my GPS.

ineedjailbreak.com have a website that says they can break the carrier lock on any iOS device. They have a facebook page that's been taking comments for at least 6 months, so they don't look like a complete rip off. Does anyone have any info on them? I'd be willing to risk their $20 solution not working, as my bank are very good at refunding payments when services turn out to be bogus, but I don't want to risk busting the GPS

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

bull crap! Scam site! :mad: you honestly think tons of people would not be talking about this great wonderful site. and 99.99% of the time positive stuff comes from these scammers, there are tons like them. sometimes same people own several sites,

12. adagio macrumors member

Yes, I thought it would be getting praised, even though it's not free, but I was being optimistic.

THanks

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Reasonable Assumption lets say that if you tried it and could prove they are legit I will give you the $20 back. if you google them you will find complaints. making a facebook page is not a big deal they can delete anything they want. ;) trust me I'm very comfortable calling them scammers and liers.

14. giffut macrumors 6502

Just ...

... get a Gevey SIM and be done with it - it works with the iPhone 3Gs, too. You just need to get a SIM/MicroSIM Adapter to fit it in accordingly.

15. adagio macrumors member

FYI I emailed them and they responded they could unlock anything. Shortly afterwards I got another email from the same address, but I think the replier did not realise I was not already a member. Basically they're selling redsnow with the iPad baseband.

16. tinto macrumors newbie

Hi giffut: Could you pleaes post the instruction on how to use the sim/microsim adapter on 3gs. and where to get them. thanks.

17. adagio, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

adagio macrumors member

giffut sent me this link in another thread http://www.sunsky-online.com/product/default!view.do?subject.id=207717 I checked it out and the cards are REALLY cheap, so this is almost certainly a knock off (copy), but that does not necessarily mean there is anything wrong with it from what I have read and the youtube vids I have seen on the subject. The official www.gevey.com distributor is www.applenberry.com. I wrote to them asking about unlocking my phone and they told me the Gevey Pro (the latest official card apparently) does not work in a 3GS. At the price of these cards it might be worth giving it a go I suppose.

I had not initially noticed, there are user reviews at the bottom of the sunsky page

Created on 06/07/2011 01:51
    Marko from Finland
    Works just fantastic. Would this work with iPhone 3G also? SUNSKY's Reply: Dear friend, the unlock sim card can only be used for iPhone4, thanks!

18. giffut macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Please, guys, read over here: http://www.maheshkukreja.com/gevey-112-exploit-works-on-iphone-3gs-baseband-051602-as-well

19. adagio, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

adagio macrumors member

I saw this blog. I can see why it might be confusing, it says "Dill Huang, who has been trying to make a programmable 112 exploit for iPhone 4 users has revealed that the same exploit works with iPhone 3GS on baseband 05.16.02." but as far as I am aware, that means the 3GS is vulnerable to the same hack, it does not mean the card for the iPhone 4 will work in the 3GS. Later in the same blog it says "So, maybe GEVEY producers will also launch a larger version of GEVEY Sim for iPhone 3GS.".

There is also the fact (as I posted previously) that the sellers themselves both say this will not work for the 3GS