Unlock 3GS fw 5.0.1, power button broken!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pthitman, Nov 22, 2011.

1. pthitman macrumors newbie

Hi there!

Things are just as stated in the description. I'd like to unlock the phone with the newest possible fw without tethering, without a working power button....The phone has been unlocked before (fw. 3.1.2) but not on this computer. I really don't know what I was doing, but before it updated to 5.0.1 it was on 3.0.1. Also, tinyumbrella won't launch (os x 10.5.8)
    I hope you guys can help me out with this!

Thanks!

2. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

You're most likely out of luck. Without a working power button, it's basically impossible to get the phone into DFU mode which is required by nearly every jailbreak program.

Also, since you updated the firmware you most likely updated the baseband as well. You'd need to flash the phone with the iPad baseband to get a working unlock. However, without the power button you won't be able to get it into DFU mode for redsn0w to do that process either.

3. pthitman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! Don't like it though haha..
    If I can fix the power button, what are my options for unlocking?
    Thanks!

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

So far, it would be the iPad BB to unlock it now for you...

5. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Yeah, I hear you. Bad news is never fun to hear.

If you get the phone fixed you'll be fine. You should be able to get that power button fixed fairly cheap as well. The only downfall is that you'll have to flash the phone to the iPad baseband which will make you lose GPS functionality. In my personal opinion, the iPad baseband is just fine and I very very very rarely ever see issues with it. Other people will tell you different but that's my 2 cents.

Also, the bootrom version of your 3Gs will determine if your jailbreak will be tethered or untethered. You may be able to downgrade if you have SHSH's available for an untethered jailbreak but you will have to flash the iPad baseband to unlock no matter what.