Unlock 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ctyler, May 19, 2011.

1. ctyler macrumors newbie

Hi!

Here is my situation, hope I am posting in the right place, apologizes if I am not.

I am in Canada and in a contract with Fido. I need to unlock my phone as I'm moving to Ireland with my family for 3 months and really want to use my phone there.

The only reason I am wanting to do this is so I can get a sim card from a provider over there and still use my phone

I am really dumb, have googled numerous sites about unlocking, jailbreaking etc. (I still don't understand if they are the same thing or 2 different things)
    I am hoping someone here can help me out with baby steps on how to do this.

If my phone is unlocked can I still use the ipod part of my phone? Does Safari still work?

I have version 4.2.1 if that helps.
    I am leaving for Ireland on Tuesday afternoon. I will be forever grateful to who ever is able to help a technology stupid mama out :)

thank-you!

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Why don't you contact Fido and see if they can unlock your phone for you. If they do, then you can use your phone in Ireland.

If they don't, then we can go to other option;

Software unlocked is base on baseband. So, you might want to check to see what your phone baseband is. On your phone, go to "Setting"/"General"/"About" and look at the bottom and see what the "Modem firmware" it has. if you have baseband 05.13 or below, then it can be unlock. I afraid your phone has the baseband of 05.16. If you do have 05.16 baseband, then the only way to unlock it is to install an Ipad baseband. However, once you installed this ipad baseband, your phone will loose its GPS functionality.

3. ctyler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank-you so much for your reply.

I actually contacted Fido today and they no, they wouldn't unlock it.

I just checked my phone and it says my Modem Firmware is 05.15.04.

Does this mean I can't unlock it?

You lost me at ipad baseband :(

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You are correct, with this baseband, you can't unlock your phone at all. The only option to unlock your phone is to install Ipad baseband onto your Iphone, then unlock it with ultrasn0w.

Do you have PC or Mac? I can send you the link to do it base on which computer you have.

5. ctyler thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that is slightly annoying. So just to confirm if I install Ipad baseband and unlock it that way I will loose my GPS capability?

I have a PC.

THANKS!

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

there are few things you need to consider;

1. Your phone will loose GPS functionality.
    2. Apple will void your phone warranty because they know your phone was messing with due to this baseband.
    3. You can't never update to any Apple official firmware once you install this Ipad baseband. Every time you need to update, you need to either search for a customs firmware or ask your friend with Mac to customs made an update firmware for you.

So, are you still ready to do this?

7. ctyler thread starter macrumors newbie

You know what, I am scared....haha. I think for 3 months i'll just buy a cheap phone in Ireland not mess with my Iphone.

Thank-you so much for your help!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cant blame you, installing the ipad bb gets messy.
    What I would do is sell it in Canada before you leave and use that money towards a factory unlocked iphone from an Apple store in Canada since they're cheaper there. Then with an officially unlocked iphone you can use it anywhere in the world with any sim.
    Good luck.

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

What he said.

Sell your iPhone and use the $$$ towards a facunlock model. These work on any GSM carrier in the world and have a much higher resale value.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

With the op leaving in four days hardly time to sell the phone. His idea of cheap phone to use in ireland is probably best idea.

11. ctyler thread starter macrumors newbie

Original poster again,

Just wanted to check and see if it is now possible to unlock my phone, a few friends have said you have to keep checking to see if your version etc. has been hacked (?). Once again, I must say I really have no idea what I am talking about :)

I've been in Ireland for a month and really miss my Iphone :(

So, my version now is 4.3.3 (8J2)
    and my modem firmware is 05.16.02

Is is possible? without loosing GPS capability?

Thanks!

12. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

Nope, nothing has changed