Unlock 4.2.1 - Pay as You Go

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by prnoct90, Mar 20, 2011.

1. prnoct90 macrumors regular

I have an iPhone that I use on Softbank in Japan. I come home for a couple weeks each year, and would love to use a pay as you go plan. I have jailbroken my iPhone 3GS running 4.2.1 and then unlocked it. I then got a sim card from AT&T for a pay as you go plan, when I put it in the phone it just searches for a long time and then says No Service. Is there anything I could be doing wrong. I never put this sim in any other phone.

2. jdaniel macrumors 65816

If the softbank phone unlocked? Do they lock phones in Japan? If it says no service it most probably is locked. Check the SIM on another phone if its working.

http://wirelesswatch.jp/2010/07/16/softbank-mobile-iphone-stays-locked/

According to that its locked.

Check your baseband and google to see if it can be unlocked. And go from there..

3. prnoct90 thread starter macrumors regular

It was locked, but like I said in my post, I unlocked it.

4. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Right missed that. Few things could be happening:

1. Have you verified the "unlocked" status of the phone before?

2. How did you unlock? Did you do it right?

3. Have you verified your SIM is working correctly? Try it on someone else's phone.

4. Go under settings > carrier > it should be automatic with a tick... let it run for a while do u see any other options.. can you select anything else.. if you see ATT and you can select it does it make a diff?

Could be any of the above. Try and see what happens.

5. prnoct90 thread starter macrumors regular

How do I verify the unlock status. I installed Ultrasnow and assumed that worked. The SIM works in other phones. For some reason, when I put this sim in, there is no carrier section on the main settings screen.

6. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Well if the SIM works in other phones..unless ATT is doing something special.. I doubt its the problem with the SIM..

So..troubleshooting..umm I would guess its something to do with the unlock..
    I havent had to unlock recently so I am not familiar.. my latest phone is factory unlocked.

But I assume.. you read from somewhere that your baseband is unlockable? Whats your baseband

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

maybe the SIM is locked?
    also, if you had it in another phone before the iPhone I believe the prepaid sim card will only work w/ that phone for the first 3 months or something like that if there was any credit on the sim card.

8. jdaniel macrumors 65816

if the sim is locked it would ask for a password.. and on the 2nd part thats new never heard of that one before..

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The fact that you ran ultrasn0w does not mean that your phone is necessarily unlocked. Since you are running 4.2.1 unless you have been saving an unlockable baseband by using pwnage tool to update to custom firmware. It is likely that you have an unlockable baseband.

Anything higher than 5.13 cannot be unlocked.

10. prnoct90 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a way to bring my baseband back down? It is currently 05.15.04 . Doesn't Cydia automatically backup your old basebands?

11. jdaniel macrumors 65816

no and no.. cydia you can back up your SHSH and thats for signing firmware nothing to do with baseband.

And basically if you want to unlock it there is a method out there before there are risks.. I suggest reading all of it before you actually do it.

http://www.techsliver.com/unlock-iphone-3gs-3g-unlock-baseband-51402-ultrasn0w/

12. prnoct90 thread starter macrumors regular

I think that's what I'll end up doing, because I am planning on getting a new iphone when they are released this summer anyways.

13. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Yeah if you follow the instructions and all that you should be fine. I talked a friend of mine thru it back in Canada and no problems :) Gd luck.