Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jomiro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2011
Hello,

first of all, let me apologize in case this has been asked already. But I'm a new Iphone user and have absolutely no idea where to start or what to do.

I recently bought an Iphone 3GS with the intention to unlock and jailbreak it. However, it turns out that the software version has been updated to 4.3.5.

I have found some pages that talk about jailbreaking this version, but they also mention that those who have to unlock their phone shouldn't do it.

I would be such a person. I bought the phone abroad and intend to take it back with me to Europe and use it there as well.
Therefore I would need an unlock. For the sole purpose of using the phone right now I haven't handed it over to the phone store to get it unlocked, as they said it woud take 3 to 4 weeks to get it done.

Now, I still would like to unlock the phone and jailbreak it, too. Cuz, although I have just had it for a few hours I'm already pretty annoyed by the fact that I can't download any apps without the apple app store getting involved.

Hence, I would like to ask, if there is any way that I can unlock my phone as well as jailbreak it with the software version that is installed on it?

I would appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Thanks.
S.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Hello,

first of all, let me apologize in case this has been asked already. But I'm a new Iphone user and have absolutely no idea where to start or what to do.

I recently bought an Iphone 3GS with the intention to unlock and jailbreak it. However, it turns out that the software version has been updated to 4.3.5.

I have found some pages that talk about jailbreaking this version, but they also mention that those who have to unlock their phone shouldn't do it.

I would be such a person. I bought the phone abroad and intend to take it back with me to Europe and use it there as well.
Therefore I would need an unlock. For the sole purpose of using the phone right now I haven't handed it over to the phone store to get it unlocked, as they said it woud take 3 to 4 weeks to get it done.

Now, I still would like to unlock the phone and jailbreak it, too. Cuz, although I have just had it for a few hours I'm already pretty annoyed by the fact that I can't download any apps without the apple app store getting involved.

Hence, I would like to ask, if there is any way that I can unlock my phone as well as jailbreak it with the software version that is installed on it?

I would appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Thanks.
S.

First of all, if you don't know where to start then here's the best way to start your reading. Guide

If you would like to unlock then you will need to know what baseband your iphone has. Guide

After that then you will need to check if your baseband is unlockable.

jomiro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2011
I have checked for my baseband. It's 05.16.02.

It seems like its unlockable. I would have to downgrade the phone for that. But the only guide I found lists iOS 4.3. Not iOS 4.3.5. I would assume that 4.3.5 is the latest and therefore 4.3 doesn't apply. Or can I use it?

Also, what would I have to do first? Unlock it or jailbreak it?
If I unlock it first and then jailbreak it, wouldn't I loose the unlocked mode again?

This may seem like a silly question, but I really have no idea.

Thanks for your help.

black iphone

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
First you have to jailbreak 4.3.5 with redsn0w 0.9.8b4. Then use redsn0w to put the phone into Pwned DFU mode. Then restore it with a custom 4.1 ipsw. Then use redsn0w 0.9.4 to flash the ipad baseband onto the phone, then go to Cydia and install ultrasn0w.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If the OP doesn't have blobs for 4.1, then what you described can't happen.
Stop trying to confuse the situation if you don't know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:
First you have to jailbreak 4.3.5 with redsn0w 0.9.8b4. Then use redsn0w to put the phone into Pwned DFU mode. Then restore it with a custom 4.1 ipsw. Then use redsn0w 0.9.4 to flash the ipad baseband onto the phone, then go to Cydia and install ultrasn0w.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
^ above is correct 3GS and I4 require shsh blobs to downgrade/ Even if it's possible baseband can not be downgraded on the 3gs and I4 It is possible 3G on down. TS make sure you understand what ipad baseband does before doing it. Good chance it will kill gps and warranty problems etc. sites like Iclarified have tutorials and all the warnings.

jomiro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2011
thanks so much for all the advice you provided me with.

i actually had found the previously mentioned thread about the change of baseband and downgrading to an older software already, but as i said, im very new to this. so some of the terms mentioned in the post are incomprehendable to me (right now).
i have read up on some of the terms, but it takes some more reading to actually be able to understand how those terms and settings interrelate.

however, i do think, right now, it might be the best option to just wait and hope for the release of a tool/ software that can jailbreak a 3gs with my software and baseband settings. a tool that is easier to handle than a page full of commands, programs and tools to apply.

how do you reckon the chances are for a release of a tool that makes the whole process as easy as it is with older software versions/ lower bandbases? (considering that the iphone 5 will be introduced soon).

i not so much fear the loss of warrenty (its an older iphone, used and i do believe the warrenty has expired).
but what makes me worry is that i loose gps on it or any other functions. or, even worse that ill brick it, should i decide to do it myself.

thanks.
s.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
you can't brick it.. unless you opt to throw it on the ground or drop it in the toilet. in the future I personally think there will be more jailbreaking and less unlocking.. last official I4 baseband unlock is 1.59 which is from 4.0 and 4.01 3gs 5.13.14 from i think 4.1 needless to say lots of jailbreaks very few unlocks. since more and more carriers will unlock or apple selling unlocked phones like here in the us. the unlock future looks dull.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
thanks so much for all the advice you provided me with.

i actually had found the previously mentioned thread about the change of baseband and downgrading to an older software already, but as i said, im very new to this. so some of the terms mentioned in the post are incomprehendable to me (right now).
i have read up on some of the terms, but it takes some more reading to actually be able to understand how those terms and settings interrelate.

however, i do think, right now, it might be the best option to just wait and hope for the release of a tool/ software that can jailbreak a 3gs with my software and baseband settings. a tool that is easier to handle than a page full of commands, programs and tools to apply.

how do you reckon the chances are for a release of a tool that makes the whole process as easy as it is with older software versions/ lower bandbases? (considering that the iphone 5 will be introduced soon).

i not so much fear the loss of warrenty (its an older iphone, used and i do believe the warrenty has expired).
but what makes me worry is that i loose gps on it or any other functions. or, even worse that ill brick it, should i decide to do it myself.

thanks.
s.

OP, what is your ultimate goal on jailbreaking & unlocking the phone? Here is what you said in the opening thread;
"Now, I still would like to unlock the phone and jailbreak it, too. Cuz, although I have just had it for a few hours I'm already pretty annoyed by the fact that I can't download any apps without the apple app store getting involved."

Even you jailbreaking the iphone, everytime you download any apps, you still have app store involve. If you are talking about piracy app through jailbreaking the phone, then I think you come to the wrong forum.

jomiro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2011
my main goal first and foremost is to unlock it. right now the phone is locked to a network abroad. but i know that i will leave my current station in the near future and therefore i would get it unlocked.
if i dont, i wont be able to use it on another network. (im in northern europe right now and they dont have the same provider here than they do in southern europe).

due to the fact that jailbreaking isnt something that apple really supports, i would consider just the act of doing so to be in the grey area of legal actions.
however, i wasnt thinking about illegal apps or anything. i was more hoping that due to the unlocking i would be able to change the iphones set up. more in a way of not having to stop listening to music, if i want to reply to a message, you know?
in terms of the app store i already made peace with that. i just entered all the information they wanted from me, so i can finally get the apps i want to.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
^ above is correct 3GS and I4 require shsh blobs to downgrade/ Even if it's possible baseband can not be downgraded on the 3gs and I4 It is possible 3G on down. TS make sure you understand what ipad baseband does before doing it. Good chance it will kill gps and warranty problems etc. sites like Iclarified have tutorials and all the warnings.

If that's your main goal you cando that without jailbreaking or unlocking. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.