Unlock and Jailbreak Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chongtw80, Feb 2, 2009.

1. chongtw80 macrumors newbie

I am currently looking to buy an iphone 3g however Apple don't sell it in M'sia yet. So I need to buy it from other countries. I am forced to purchase a unlocked unit or I have to jailbreak it myself so I could use it in M'sia.
    From my understanding, there are only a few countries that sells contract free unlocked iphones.

However, I am confused... These are my questions:

1) Whats the difference between an iphone that was unlocked by authorised operator and one that uses a jailbreak?

2) If they are the same, does it mean I have to bring my iphone back to the authorised operator to be unlocked everytime I update my iphone's firmware?

3) If they are different, unlocking by the authorised operator means I could update my iphone freely without having to unlock it again?

4) If they are different, how do I know if the iphone i purchased was using a jailbreak or unlocked by authorised operators?

As far as i know there were 3 kinds of iphone 3gs being sold here. Thats y i would like to find out.
    1) iphones with IMEI changed
    2) iphones using jailbreak
    3) iphones that was legally unlocked
    Apparently the iphones with IMEI changed are the cheapest.

Appreciate the help.

2. isianto macrumors regular

1) the phone unlocked by authorized apple is a "legally" unlock from apple, you don't need to be affraid to update the next available firmware and it still will works with other gsm couriers. For the unlocked phone(using pwnage tools), you need to wait for the dev when the new firmware available, otherwise your iphone will restored to original provider.
    2) If it's legally unlocked (unlocked by gsm courrier/apple) then you won't need to unlock it everytime you upgrade the firmware
    3) yup
    4) There's a list of countries that can sell legally unlocked or unlock by provider. Hongkong is a country that sell legally unlock from apple. I bought my iphone from there
    Hope it helps

3. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

first thing DO NOT buy it unllocked dbags add 100s of dollars for that.

1.No Differnce they do it the same way

2.Unless its a huge update and its unlcoked i wouldnt upgrade. Never upgrade b4 reading what the dev team has to say

3.No

4.If its unlocked it was done the same way

4. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

False. For example, in France and Australia, iPhones are sold with a SIM lock. However, it is possible to unlock it through legitimate (Apple-authorized) means if you send a request (and possibly a payment depending on how much time you have left on your contract) to your carrier.

They will forward the request to Apple, and you'll receive an email telling you when the process is ready to complete. Then, the next time you synch your iPhone with iTunes, Apple's own servers will automatically perform the unlock via the Internet.

This Applies to iPhones that were unlocked by unauthorized means only. It does not apply to iPhones that were unlocked by Apple, either at the Factory, or via an official carrier request. The dev team doesn't have anything meaningful to say that about iPhones that were unlocked by Apple.

False. iPhones that have been unlocked through Apple's authorized mechanism are designed to remain unlocked following a firmware upgrade. iPhones that have been unlocked by any other mechanism may remain unlocked, if the baseband wasn't changed, otherwise, they will likely be re-locked.

See above, this is false.

To OP:
    By the way, "jailbreaking" is not exactly the same thing as unauthorized unlocking. Jailbreaking is one necessary step in the process of performing an unauthorized unlock, however, there are other possible uses of jailbreaking that do not involve moving on to the unlocking phase.

5. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

dang had no idea bout that stuff lol. guess i was way off forget what i said and listen to this guy haha