Carrier Unlock AT&T iPhone 5 via iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Samelson03, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Samelson03 macrumors 6502

Did they fix this or something? I can't seem to get it to work. My brother got a iPhone 6 and I bought his 5 off him and am trying to avoid requesting it to be unlocked through AT&T.

2. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Did they fix what? To get the phone unlocked, you have to contact AT&T to process the unlock request, it must be out of a contract/NEXT payment option to be approved. Once approved, you'll have to restore in iTunes and it should then be unlocked. It MAY pop up saying your phone is unlocked, sometimes it won't pop up with that messge and the only way to know is if you pop in a T-Mobile SIM card to see if it accepts it and works.

3. Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, thanks for clarifying that up for me. This article I read said just to plug in the phone into iTunes and restore it. The article never stated that it first has to be approved. I've never unlocked a phone before so excuse my ignorance.

4. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

No problem. It'd be nice if they just unlocked it immediately once the contract was up, but of course, they want to keep you locked in until you request it.

5. Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that'd be really nice. Apparently, it's not like that because people were buying a new phone, unlocking it and then selling their new phone.