Unlock Denied iPhone 6S A1633 (at&t)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by solo118, Jan 7, 2016.

1. solo118 macrumors 65816

Hi All

I am going out of the country in about 2 weeks from now, and would like to use a foreign sim card for my travels. I have upgraded to the 6S last week via at&t and would love to get it unlocked.

However I am getting denied for some reason, and the people doing the unlock claim that they only have 90% success rate and they can't offer a reason why it is denied. I have used 2 ebay sources who have many feedbacks, and this is the "premium" service which specifically states it works with phones that are under contract. I am glad they refunded me, but this was much easier to do when I unlocked my ip6 and previous phones (and much cheaper!!)

I was looking to see if it could be something with my IMEI? Should I get an exchange from at&t? Or could there be another reason why I am being denied? A friend of mine says it could be because I am still within the 14 day trial period, but that seems far fetched.

Thank you in advance for any assistance

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

First thing.

Were you aware that you posted this in the jailbreak section on MacRumors? And if you are, was there some sort of association you made in your mind that unlocking is related to jailbreaking?

Just curious about the thinking here because both jailbreaking and unlocking are two entirely different things. And any unlocks via jailbreak died about six years ago.

Anyway. Is the phone paid off? I assume it isn't because you are using what seems to be a third party unlock service.
    Next, were you also aware that the third party unlock service known as Swift Unlocks has recently been sued by AT&T? Swift Unlocks paid money to a few AT&T employees to install malware on AT&T's computers, allowing Swift Unlocks unauthorized access to initiate unauthorized cell phone unlocks. Two of the employees involved have been fired.

I bring this up because AT&T right now probably has a very heightened alertness for third party unlock services looking to use AT&T's systems to get unauthorized unlocks.

That may be why this so successful service is failing on you.

3. solo118, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

solo118 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for your response, and I apologize I did not mean to post this in the JB section! It should be in the regular iphone section!

Anyways thank you for your notes, no my phone is not paid off in full. I got it subsidized from at&t on a 2 yr contract, which is why I am looking at 3rd party for an unlock.

I also was not aware of the Swift Unlock troubles, and could imagine why at&t wants to clamp down on unauthorized unlockers! I hope there is a solution out there either way, I will keep searching.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I just got a new 5s and requested an unlock for it. I was also denied. Next step for me is to call into AT&T and ask them to unlock it since it's not the primary phone on my line. Last time I did this they were more than willing.

Try calling and talking to somebody. They may be able to help you out.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

A perk of T-Mobile I discovered a couple of months in. 40 days active and you become eligible for unlock even if leasing.

Both my wife's iPhone and mine are fully unlocked although we have no plans to go anywhere.

I've had this explained as being some sort of bug in T-Mobile's system, but apparently they are making no effort to fix it.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

no one afaik can unlock an iPhone in subsidy on at&t atm after the issues w swift.
    You can always try to get it unlocked via att chat.

I remember when I paid swift $1.99 for my 5s unlock, ahh those were the days.

7. JackieInCo macrumors 601

They unlocked my 4S back in the day for that $1.99 price. Since then. T-Mobile has unlocked all my phones and my 6S+, I bought sim free.