Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
It has been forever and there is still NO unlock for iPhone 4's firmware version 02.10.04. Seriously, what is the hold up. Its been an entire year.

I may have to seriously consider purchasing the unlocked iPhone 4 at the premium price while selling my current iPhone 4. The difference is about $250 and I'm not comfortable with that amount given that the iPhone 5 is around the corner. Yet, the 5 will most likely be locked as well.

Whoever has the unlock is holding out on the world :rolleyes:

Dumbledorelives

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
I agree, it's kind of ridiculous...I gave up and bought a 3GS, which arrived yesterday and was incredibly easy to unlock. Now I'm happy with it.

I would advise just waiting until the iPhone 5 - it doesn't make much sense to pay that much money for an unlocked 4 when it's going to be outdated in just a few months. Who knows - maybe the iPhone 5 will be available on contract with T-Mobile or whatever carrier you're trying to use.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Can't you, roughly for the same price of an unlocked phone, just pay the ETF and cancel your service and switch to AT&T/Verizon? Or is there a deeper issue at hand that I'm not seeing?

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I wish that the Dev Team would release an unlock for all the 3G/3Gs basebands post-iOS3 in addition to some of the newer iPhone 4 basebands. It would be really nice. I'm not complaining; the DT has given us some nice stuff and I respect what they do, it would just be really nice for some new unlocks! :D

just wondering, does this Gevey thing work on any sim?

as in.. would i be able to use this method in europe?

Gevey is worldwide.

zOdeac

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Can't you, roughly for the same price of an unlocked phone, just pay the ETF and cancel your service and switch to AT&T/Verizon? Or is there a deeper issue at hand that I'm not seeing?

Some of us have that option but when you travel over seas you don't just have that option and keep all your data with you. Now i can say i now have an factory unlocked phone and am very happy Apple now sells us in the US factory unlocked phones.

I got sick of still no unlock but also understand this people are doing this stuff for free for us. Yes sure some make money some loose time but all in all i just want my stuff to work and i thank what they have done for us so fair.

all and all if you want an unlocked phone go to http://www.apple.com and get a factory unlocked phone if you are in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
It has been forever and there is still NO unlock for iPhone 4's firmware version 02.10.04. Seriously, what is the hold up. Its been an entire year.

I may have to seriously consider purchasing the unlocked iPhone 4 at the premium price while selling my current iPhone 4. The difference is about $250 and I'm not comfortable with that amount given that the iPhone 5 is around the corner. Yet, the 5 will most likely be locked as well.

Whoever has the unlock is holding out on the world :rolleyes:

I returned my factory unlock iphone 4 back at Apple Store ($801) full refund b/c we all know that sooner or later the new iphone 5 will be released and I'll be happy to pay the $749 + taxes on the new device will is imminent that it'll be release. Waiting and patience is hard, but it is best to wait for the new model to buy it unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.