Unlock for the sprint iPhone 4s?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Trey1984, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Trey1984 macrumors regular

Got sprint..found out they sucked so I still have the phone and went back to AT&T..is it possible to unlock the sprint phone to work with AT&T?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I am not sure if Sprint is officially unlocking, so you may want to check with them, my guess is that they are not, even if they are I am sure they will require to either pay full price for the phone or keep it on service for some minimun required time.

Unofficially unlocks required Jailbreak to even start working on it, and there is not Jailbreak for the 4S as right now.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you can never use a Sprint or Verizon sold iphone on AT&T.
    When they do unlock the GSM side is only to be used with foreign non US carriers when traveling.
    It wont work.

4. Trey1984 thread starter macrumors regular

I figured but thought I'd ask..guess I'll just sell the phone then..now I only had sprint for 3 days and then I went back to AT&T and cancelled with sprint..are they still going to hit me with a early termination fee?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but if you return the phone dont you have like 14 days to try out the service and return the phone without paying any fee's?
    Call them up and check.
    Dont wait till the 14th day like some others have done:)

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Hmm really? how are they doing that? the radio is a Quad freq, it shouldn't be any technical limitation once it is unlock, which mean that if there is (and now bear with me I am just taking a wild guess here) that the unlock is just partial, by limiting non-us carries, which also means that the software unlock should be able to overcome that limitation easily.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, its pretty Sh***y of them.
    Its gotta be done software wise I would guess for a US CDMA to reject any AT&T and Tmobile sims but once the GSM side unlocked by the carrier to accept any foreign non-US sims.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Oh i got you,,, it is not a baseband lock but a SIM check... make sense... yeah ****** but really surprising

9. Trey1984 thread starter macrumors regular

I really don't want to deal with them again..I would rather just take the early term fee and pay it with the iPhone 4s sell

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you. But the 4S will be blacklisted once you terminate service so not sure if it could be activated again on another Sprint account. And that could bring less money on ebay or CL.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sell the 4s and use the money to pay off your ETF etc. then go to at&t or who ever. However if your with in 14 days it's throwing away money IMO.

12. Trey1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Ya when my number got ported over with AT&T they said they would cancel Saturday..so that was this previous week..blacklist it?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, pretty much.
    Not sure how much it can fetch on ebay or CL but give it a shot.

14. Trey1984 thread starter macrumors regular

I figured I could get 400..if the term fees 350 then eh

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you put it on ebay and factor in the fee's, agreevation and risk I dont know if it would be worth it to me.

16. Trey1984 thread starter macrumors regular

What risks?

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sprint phones aren't likely to fetch as much, less demand.SO be sure you look at sprint iPhones for prices. Also people will be Leary they are buying deactivated phone. Meting them at the sprint store would be the best option.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

On ebay people receiving and claiming the phone never came or the box was empty and many other eBay scams.
    Be careful.

19. nraudigy2 macrumors member

I am guessing Apple just wants people to buy on contracts. My unlocked phone works on Tmobile.

20. Trey1984 thread starter macrumors regular

I returned the sprint phones back to sprint and I was shocked as they still had my old iPhone 4 from AT&T..so I took it back to AT&T got it working and will use it until my iPhone 4s comes in

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

22. The General macrumors 601

Why would Sprint even have your old iPhone 4 if it was on AT&T and has nothing to do with them whatsoever?

23. Trey1984 thread starter macrumors regular

When I got sprint they had a program to where I could sell them my AT&T iPhone 4s for 250 a piece..that became credit for them..so got iPhone 4s's for me and wife..when I returned the sprint phones she never sent my AT&T phones in yet..so I got them back

24. b24pgg macrumors 65816

That's not entirely accurate. Sprint and Verizon iPhones can connect to the AT&T network, but only with foreign SIMs.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    So with a Vodafone sim to roam on AT&T's network for example.
    Still the same though, you can't use any AT&T or tmobile sims on any unlocked CDMA iPhones.