Unlock Grace Period for iPhone Replaced Overseas

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ustrup, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ustrup macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I will try: My home button on my iPhone 4 stopped working recently after I moved to China. I went to a local service center and, since the phone was still under Applecare, they replaced it with a new one. The iPhone was bought in the US and locked to AT&T. The repair guy said that the new one would be locked as well but that there might be a grace period in which I can use it with a non-AT&T SIM. I just tried with a local SIM card and it works fine but I'm now wondering if it will stop working all of a sudden. I have never heard of a grace period and wanted to check if anyone here had. Also, I have yet to hook it up with iTunes since I'm wondering if that might lock the phone as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

The lock will probably kick in next time you sync.
    Afaik in china they can't put the AT&T lock on.

3. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

That's what I think too

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

I agree once you sync you will loose the unlock. Also AT&T has no policy about unlocking even if your out of country or permanently moved. Att unlock policy simply sucks hopefully it will change.

5. ustrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. Do you think I might be able to sync the phone with iTunes as a new device? I'm still hesitating to try and sync it.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Syncing will do it, if you decide to upgrade the firmware will also.
    In order to setup as new you will have to restore and that will also do it.

7. ustrup, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

ustrup thread starter macrumors newbie

So making the iPhone talk to iTunes in any way will lock the device back to AT&T? I have it on a 3 SIM card in HK now and it works without incident.

8. jdaniel macrumors 65816

that is how an unlocked phone remains workable, say if you JB an unlocked phone and you do hacktivate, it wont work, it needs to connect with apple for it to be unlocked/worked each time you restore... works the same with locked.

9. ustrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that was fun while it lasted. The iPhone now says "No Service" with the foreign SIM card inserted. I imagine that the phone might have talked to Apple servers at some point and gotten itself relocked. Bummer. Any further thoughts, ideas would be appreciated. I still can't believe, that the Apple-AT&T duo does not allow customers to unlock at any fee.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Sell your phone and buy a factory unlocked model.
    The decision to unlock is on AT&T.
    You can use a gevey to unlock, but it won't work with iOS 5.

11. ustrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. Funny thing: I decided to try to see if I could convince Apple to unlock it. The Apple customer service rep on the phone said I had two options: 1) Buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple 2) Jailbreak it (!)

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Option 2 is possible, but most iphone 4 owners don't have the 1.59 bb. Since you just replaced your phone, I doubt you can software unlock.
    Factory unlocked or gevey are your options.

13. ustrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Since the phone now has a new IMEI number, do you think anything can be done with that given that the phone didn't physically come from AT&T?

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

nope! if that were the case honestly you would be 100% unlocked now. your best bet is to either sell it or talk to ATT they should allow it to be unlocked now but I seriously doubt they will, but it's worth a try. BTW I'm even surprised they exchanged it there since it's usually only warranted in the country it came from.

15. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Applecare does wonders.

16. ustrup, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

ustrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have really been impressed with Applecare.

Interesting new development: the iPhone is now rejecting the AT&T sim card as well as foreign ones. Applecare support in Asia checked the IMEI number and says that it is associated with an unlocked phone. AT&T says the device is locked to them (they don't even want to check the IMEI number) but that only Apple can unlock it and Apple tells me that AT&T has to tell them to unlock it. Meanwhile, my phone does not want to talk to any SIM cards. Any thoughts on next steps?

UPDATE (Aug 3, 2011):

One more update: everyone seems to be pointing fingers at each other: Apple says I need to get a local service provider to unlock although the IMEI number shows that the phone is unlocked. The local service provider says it's an Apple or device issue. And AT&T says that there is nothing they can do since they didn't issue the phone. I might end up going back to a local service center here in Asia but I really doubt it's a hardware issue. Does anyone know what happens to the phone's ID, IMEI, etc when it's replaced overseas?

17. ustrup thread starter macrumors newbie

Working solution (so far)

After the iPhone replacement began to reject all SIM cards, including the original AT&T card, I went to the service center and received another replacement. I immediately jailbroke it and installed SAM and SAMPrefs and so far it works like a charm (SAM allows you to backup up the activation).

Would love to hear if anyone else has experience with using SAM to retain an unlock. I'm also wondering if I can risk updating to iOS 5 once the time comes.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have to wait and be 100% sure the JB, SAM and 5.0 all play together well.