Unlock Help Please

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by doodybomb, Feb 12, 2011.

1. doodybomb macrumors newbie

I have a jailbroken (redsn0w 0.9.6b4) iPhone 3GS with 4.2.1 and 05.15.04

ultrasn0w 1.2 installed but other SIMs are not working, so the unlock was not successful.

I also have a semi-broken power button. It is not working right now, but it has gone through periods before where it would not work, and then a week later would start working again.

My question is can I get this phone unlocked as it is? I thought it was possible to unlock with 4.2.1, but have read somewhere that it is not possible. If it is possible, will I have to wait until the power button starts working again or is there a way to work around that issue?

thanks in advance!

2. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

As I recall it is possible, but with that baseband you would have to go and do the iPad 'trick' - basically replacing your the higher-version-numbered baseband software from the iPad that has an exploit - but that is a) irreversible once done, requiring custom firmware from here on out, and b) is as much I know.

3. doodybomb, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

doodybomb thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it expected that the dev team will soon release a version of ultrasn0w that will work with 4.2.1 & 05.15.04 where you don't have to install ipad firmware?

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Your baseband is not one that the dev team chose to unlock. If you wish to unlock your phone, you will need to run Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 or higher and when you jailbreak, make sure there's a checkmark in the box that says "install iPad baseband". There is not likely to be an unlock for 5.15.04 and your only choice is to upgrade to the iPad baseband (6.15.00). There are some risks involved, but I don't believe that they outweigh the gain. For example; it will be harder to restore to stock Apple firmware (on the first restore attempt, it will fail and then you will have to go into DFU to try again until it works), and you will also completely lose GPS. Hope this helps!

**Before installing the iPad baseband, you may need to restore to a clean fresh install of your firmware and then jailbreak with the new Greenpoison and then use Redsn0w to install the iPad baseband.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

And as for your power button issue, try taking dismantling your phone and tightening some of the screws, especially around the problem area. I dropped my iPhone 3GS earlier today and the silent/vibrate switch kept switching back and forth without me touching it (I would put it on silent but it would say it was on loud) so I took it apart and sort of fiddled around inside the device and removed most of the components and put them all back in and it works like a charm now.

6. Donny Jepp macrumors member

No. Guess why? Because they've already created an unlock method that works.

7. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Ipad baseband is probably your only option for life (it is for the 3G). iOS 4.3 drops support for the 3G, so ipad baseband is the only alternative. Although the 3Gs is supported, it does share the same baseband..so it wouldn't seem logical for them to continue support when there already is the ipad bb.