Unlock help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rayjay86, Jun 9, 2011.

1. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

Ok I'm new to unlocking. I did it once a long time ago on my 3G but never actually used the feature.

I have an iPhone 4 and I'm going to Europe in about 2 weeks. I updated to iOS 4.3.3 without knowing about the whole baseband issue.

Am I screwed now or can I downgrade to 4.2.1 (using custom IPSW) and then unlock with UltraSn0W after jailbreaking?

Any help is much appreciated!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're screwed.
    Only way to unlock it is by using a gevey turbo sim.

3. zOdeac macrumors member

I read a tweet that the guy that made ultrasn0w will be working on other basebands but as of now if your basband is not supported ya your scrooed right now. For some reason it takes a lot longer to update ultrasn0w then it is to JB.

I have one phone in the same spot as yours.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Really?! He emerged from wherever he disappeared to? Did he explain the disappearance? I didn't know much about him, besides the fact that Hashim found the exploits and he wrote the unlock.
    OP, even if you were able to downgrade the firmware, the bb is hard coded. Once it's upgraded, it can't be downgraded. I've read there's a service for 3G/3GS that replaces the bb chip with a lower bb, but I haven't heard of anything like that for the iPhone 4.

5. rayjay86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks guys! Looks like I'm getting a cheap prepaid Vodafone instead...

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You'd spend less on a Gevey.

7. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Agreed. You can find the Gevey Pro on eBay for $30 or less.

Despite a lot of things floating around online, the Gevey works great. My wife uses one for everyday use just fine.

8. rayjay86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I looked into that. Problem is that I'm leaving for Europe in two days and Canada Post has been on strike...ie. no regular mail.