unlock here then use foreign sim later?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by uneducated dave, Sep 5, 2008.

  1. uneducated dave macrumors member

    Sep 19, 2006
    i have an iphone in the uk, locked to o2. however, i'm going to be studying in france from tomorrow until may, and would like to get a french pay as you go sim card to use in it whilst i am there.

    the problem is, i can't take my imac. could i use pwnagetool to unlock it whilst here, then put the french sim card in after my arrival in france? my o2 sim would be in the iphone when i got to france, then i'd swap them over. is this possible, or would i need to unlock it again?

    any help would be VERY much appreciated!
  2. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

    Jul 19, 2008
    Is it a 1st gen iPhone or an iPhone 3G? If it is an iPhone 3G there is no software unlock. If it is a 1st gen then you should just be able to unlock it without any issues.
  3. Arisian macrumors 68000


    Sep 14, 2007
    1 gen will work. I use my cingular sim here and my china sim in china.

    granted, thats china.
  4. nabisco macrumors newbie

    Sep 12, 2008
    any luck with this dave? I'm going to be in a similar position to you in a couple of days...
  5. overxout macrumors newbie

    Dec 9, 2008
    I'm in the same boat. I'll be moving to France from the US in only 17 days with my iPhone 3G. I've been scouring the internet trying to find a way to maintain usability without paying through the.. well, you get the idea.

    Any suggestions and previous experiences are greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  6. fastgraham macrumors member

    Mar 10, 2008
    sim card thing

    This may or may not help you, but I go to Hong Kong frequently and I have a Hong KOng sim card that I used to use in my cheap Hong Kong cell phone. Recently, I got an Iphone 3G. I tried to just put my HK sim card into it, but it gave me an error.

    In HK I was able to buy this very thin thing called the gevey-3G. Basically, it lets me use any sim card in my Iphone without jailbreaking, unlocking, or whatever. It cost about $35 US.

    Of course, I have to use my HK phone number, but that is what I was doing anyway. So, you will have to buy a French sim card with a French phone number, but you will be able to use your Iphone.

    If you do this, there is one other thing: when you sync your iphone to your computer, you must set it to airplane mode, then to get a signal back, switch it off of airplane mode and restart it.

    Good luck.

Share This Page