unlock iPhone 3GS for Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xanderla25, Jun 19, 2011.

1. xanderla25 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have been browsing these forums for awhile now and I have a few questions about unlocking an iPhone 3GS.

Last November my iPhone 3GS fell into some water and stopped working. I tried for awhile to get it to work with no success. I received the iPhone 4 as a gift shortly thereafter and didn't think much about it again.

Recently I found out that my 3GS works again. I am heading to France for the summer in a couple of weeks and am wanting to unlock the 3GS to work with a French sim card so that I will have GPS and access to internet and such while over there. I have read that the iPhone 4 version that I have can't be unlocked so I'm hoping that the 3GS can be.

What do I need to do to do this? I have browsed online but there are so many sites that come up with different things to download and such and I'm not sure what is reputable and what isn't.

Also, since my computer currently syncs with my iphone 4...what will happen when I plug in the iphone 3GS? Is it going to be possible to even do this since I already sync with my 4?

My iOS on the 3GS is version 4.1
    and the broadband is 05.14.02.

Any points in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

To disallow syncing, go into iTunes and navigate Preferences > Devices and check the box that says "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" or something along those lines.

As for your unlocking problem, your baseband is not unlockable. You will need to upgrade your iPhone to 4.3.3 and then use Redsn0w to jailbreak and install the iPad baseband (6.15.00), as it is unlockable. After you are jailbroken, go into Cydia and install Ultrasn0w. Unfortunately, this unlock comes with a few setbacks: It will KILL your GPS, permanently. In addition to this, you will only be able to restore/upgrade to custom firmware made with Pwnagetool or Sn0wbreeze from now on. This isn't so bad seeing as how the iOS 5 upgrade doesn't come out until September and you're going away for the summer. Anyway, that's pretty much the only solution to your problem. If you have any other questions you know where to post!

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

The stuff you wrote about unlocking seems abit far fetched. I know nothing about unlocking but can't you just restore in iTunes to stock of you want?