Unlock iPhone 3GS iOS5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by t0264, Dec 3, 2011.

1. t0264 macrumors newbie

Bought an old water damaged iPhone 3GS off eBay. Anyway, it still worked just stuck in recovery mode however managed to get it repaired (just needed a replacement part) :D My question is, if I upgrade to iOS 5, is there an ultrasn0w unlock available for free or should I pay for the shop to factory unlock it.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

First, don't pay anything to anyone to jailbreak/unlock your phone. They are using the same tools we use and all these tools are freely distributed on the web.

Second, there is unlocked for 3GS on OS5. However, can't go to OS5 because Apple stops signing it.

You can get your phone down to 4.1. There are so many threads in here talking about this. You should be able to search and follow direction on one of those threads and you will have an unlocked 3GS in no time.

3. t0264 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! I'll need to restore anyway in case the phone hasn't been wiped already and the previous owner might have left any data on the phone, so I could downgrade to 4.1 for the unlock until I've looked more into iOS 5/Baseband. :)

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Search posts under my name and you will see instruction on this.