Unlock iPhone 4 with ultrasn0w

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by w00t951, Aug 5, 2010.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Okay, I have never decided to unlock my iPhone, and I have some questions.

1) Is unlocking reversed by restoring and getting rid of the JB?

2) Does AT&T know that you are unlocking the phone?

3) Will my unlock stay even if I update my iPhone's software from 4.0.1 to 4.1?

Thanks!

2. NocturnalEVO macrumors member

1. Yes if u do a restore, i believe it will be locked again.

2. I'm not 100% sure if they do or not. I know my friend unlocked a 3G and was using it on a regular AT&T minutes plan (no data plan). And after a few months, At&t sent him a message saying that they will automatically be adding a $30/month data plan to his iPhone. So im guessing they scan or have some way of finding out.

3. No you will lose the unlock if you upgrade your firmware. The latest firmware 4.0.1 is the latest software with a jailbreak and unlock. If you upgrade to 4.1 down the road (provided that they update the baseband/modem firmware as well), you will lose the unlock until someone releases a unlock for it.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, unlock or not once AT&T detects an iphone on their network with no data plan they add one automaticly.

4. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

So... even if I use my iPhone out of the States with a foreign carrier, AT&T will still be able to figure out that my phone is unlocked? I'll still have my AT&T account with a data plan and such, I'll just be using it overseas for a few months. Thanks for the replies.

5. NocturnalEVO macrumors member

6. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Okay, just checking. I love my iPhone too much to exchange it for this POS for 4 months...

Attached Files:

7. AppleDNA macrumors newbie

AT&T can only see your iPhone if you're using their SIM card on their network. If you're unlocked and using another carrier's SIM card, you could be texting Elvis in outer space and AT&T wouldn't have a clue. It would just look like your iPhone is turned off.

8. snowman1 macrumors regular

Unless you're on a prepaid plan! :)

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

it violates your TOS, technically the phone is not yours until the contract expires.

other then that....they really cannot tell.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, if you use it on another carrier AT&T will not know its unlocked or add anything.
    They will add a data plan if you use an AT&T simcard in an iphone with no appropriate data plan.

Thats correct.
    Prepaid gophone sims dont need a data plan.

11. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Just fyi

I just JB'd my iPhone 4 via jailbreakme.com and then installed untrasn0w via newly-installed cydia and it is unlocked and issue free. Nothing revelatory but thought it would be encouraging for some to read a success story.

Sim cut down to size and working!