Unlock iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Heartcloud, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Heartcloud macrumors newbie

Is it possible to software unlock an iPhone 5 on iOS 7.0.4 right now? Mine is locked to Rogers (Canada). I googled but didn't find any answers from credible sources right now. I know I can get it unlocked from my carrier but I have to pay $50 + tax for it, not sure if it's worth it for a one-time travel... There are also lots of websites out there claiming to unlock your phone for discounted prices like $30 or something, not sure which ones (or if any) are credible...

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Software unlocks haven't worked for quite a while. I'd just pay the $50 and have your phone officially unlocked.

3. Heartcloud thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw some unlock services sold on ebay US site for about $25, and Canadian site for about $35 (not sure if there is any difference?). Anyone had experience with these, specifically unlocking Canadian carriers?

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

$35 and you have to expose yourself to unscrupulous people.
    $50 and you get it done guaranteed from carrier.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no software unlocks for your device.
    But you can try one of those imei unlock ebay services.
    You have paypal protection.
    I know swiftunlocks does rogers iphone unlocks for $35.

6. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Ask yourself - what are you exactly saving? $10? $15?
    What would you pay to NOT have to stress about a screwup in the unlock process or dealing with ebay/paypal claims dept if something goes wrong?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont see how you guys think its such a big nono getting an imei unlock from an ebay seller.
    Many many people get their phones unlocked via 3rd party imei unlock sellers. And yes I would rather save $15-20 using that instead of paying more to a carrier. And chances are as long as you submit the correct imei number to them with no typos you will not have any problems and the process will be seamless.
    Say whatever you want, you want to waste more money over getting the same thing then go for it.
    I unlocked dozens of iphones over the years with 3rd party imei unlock people without a single problem.

8. Heartcloud thread starter macrumors newbie

Which seller from ebay did you use? I'm unlocking two phones, so it's not a few bucks in savings, rather almost $60 in savings. So yes, I'd like to save and not put more cash into the pockets of a detestable company like Rogers. :rolleyes:

Also, is a factory restore required for unlocking? Wipe the phone clean and restore? That would really suck because Apple forces you to update to latest firmware for restores and I'll lose my jailbreak... not to mention I never liked full restores because there's the risk of losing app data. It's rare to have a restore process that worked 100% without messing up somewhere.