Unlock iPhone: before or after?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kas23, Sep 13, 2014.

1. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

So I've requested an unlock from AT&T for my 5S and they gave it to me. And I've ordered a new iPhone 6+. My question is: can I do the unlock after I activate my new phone or do I have to do the restore beforehand?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Anytime after the contract for the 5s has lapsed. Your choice.

3. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

You can probably do it after the other is activated, but I really don't know for sure.

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. I'm unlocking mine to sell it that way, and I'm doing it early in case something goes wrong and I need to work it out with ATT. if I wait until the last minute, I'd be screwed.

I know it's a little more work because you might need to wipe it a second time, but I would just go ahead and do it to be safe.

4. Chicagogirlie macrumors member

I tried to unlock mine last night. They told me since I have an upgrade on order (the 6) then I have to wait 14 days to unlock the iPhone 5. ARG, I should have done it before I pre-ordered!

5. Iamgort macrumors regular

Who/how did you contact to get your unlock approved?

6. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

We're you under contract ? If so, how did you manage to get AT&T to unlock it for you ?

7. kas23 thread starter macrumors 603

kas23

It's kind of convoluted. I'm on a family plan with my in-laws. Last year I used their upgrade to go from an iPhone 5 to a 5S. This year, I was able to upgrade September 1st using my line. I asked for an unlock and they promptly gave it to me.

It would be great if I could unlock it after I get my new phone, but doesn't my current SIM become inactivated once I activate my new phone? Do I even need an activated SIM to unlock my phone?

8. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I've read that starting with the 4S, iPhones don't need to be restored to factory settings to be unlocked. If it's a carrier-approved unlock, you simply insert an off-carrier SIM card and it should be unlocked.

I've unlocked a few 3G, 3GS, 4, and 4S models, but with the recent 4S I didn't know and I did a factory reset in iTunes.

I would get ahold of a foreign or T-Mobile SIM card and give it a try. Once completed, turn your phone off and back on for good measure, and then use one of those free websites to verify the phone's unlocked status via the IMEI.

9. kas23, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

kas23 thread starter macrumors 603

kas23

The email I received from AT&T though specifically tells me I need to do a restore to unlock my phone. And I don't have a T-mobile SIM.

----------

It's makes the most sense that you'd be able to do it afterwards, but this is AT&T and they may put up unnecessary barriers for people trying to unlock their phones.

I think I'm going to do it before, but I'll do it when my new iPhone 6+ package is sitting in front of me. I don't want to go through the hassle of restoring and setting up 2 phones in the span of 1 week. Unless I decide to suffer and stock with just factory settings and apps till Friday (a true 1st world problem ;)).

10. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

11. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

They've probably never updated the text of that email.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It wouldn't have mattered. You have to wait out the 14 day return period once the iPhone 6 is activated before they'll honor the unlock request. This policy is to prevent people from unlocking the offed device then changing their mind and returning the new device within the return period.

13. hellala, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

hellala macrumors newbie

Any one please do me a favor, unlock my AT&T phone? I'm on Airvoice using ATT tower so i can't ask ATT to unlock mine. I would send $10 through paypal

14. kas23 thread starter macrumors 603

kas23

But this doesn't change the fact that the old contract has completely be honored and should be unlocked. That is, I should have every right to return my new phone and continue using my old unlocked phone.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The 14-day waiting period kicks in only if you're haven't fulfilled your contract. For example, you're in the middle of a contract with a 5s on your line and you use a family member's upgrade to get the iPhone 6 and device swap it to your line. Your contract hasn't been honored so you'll need to wait the required 14 days before you can unlock the offed 5s.

It doesn't apply if you've completely honored your contract, in which case you can unlock the old device anytime.