Unlock iPhone to use in Korea?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by numb120, Apr 6, 2011.

1. numb120 macrumors newbie

I recently moved to Korea and have been using my cousin's pathetic phone to get by in the meantime. I've done some research to see if my iPhone 3G can be unlocked to work with either of the two main carriers here; SK Telecom and KT, but can only see a few random posts on this topic from '08. I've spoken with a few people and someone told me that an unlocked phone from the States will work here (without modifying the hardware). Can anyone confirm this? I was set on using a different phone until the release of the next generation iPhone, but with the rumored delays, I am starting to reconsider my options. Any expert advice will be appreciated!:) :apple:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no unlocked iPhone sold in the states. All US iPhones are locked to AT&T.
    If you can find an iPhone without the latest bandstand installed you can try to jailbreak it and unlock it and use it on other GSM carriers but it all depends on what kind of iPhone and what firmware and baseband it's on.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. numb120 thread starter macrumors newbie

I followed step by step directions and jailbroke my 3g last night, and was instructed to update to the 06.15 baseband if i planned to unlock the phone, which i plan on doing. however, these instructions to unlock will make the phone usable on other gsm-based networks, which is what i will confirm when i bring my unlocked phone to SK Telecom this weekend... will update this thread when i find out.

5. numb120 thread starter macrumors newbie

Korea has had iPhone 4 since July of last year, one month after the US release

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You'll have to find out which carriers use SIMs. Among the ones that do, you'll have to find out what frequencies they utilize.
    There are unlocked phones you can buy at the apple store in Canada.

7. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Might wanna look closer to you like Singapore... LOL instead of Canada...

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Canada was an example of one of the countries that sell unlocked phones.