Unlock iPhone without restoring

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sicdeath, Nov 24, 2014.

1. sicdeath macrumors member

I requested an unlock for my iPhone 6 thru my carrier and just received an email saying to restore the phone and I will see the unlock message. I don't want to update my ios, is there a way around this? I am running iPhone 6 with ios 8.0

2. 617aircav Suspended

It's unlocked. You didn't have to restore. Have you tested it with another SIM card?

3. mainomega macrumors 6502

The restore issue is stupid. You don't have to restore it. When you put the SIM card the phone will go to activation sequence and it'll work.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like the others said.
    The restore process is old and Apple eliminated the need years ago.
    I don't know why carriers provide those old pointless instructions still.
    All they have to say is its unlocked, stick any gsm sim and connect to wifi and it will activate and work.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Why the hell don't you want to update your iOS? You're not afraid of being left out of security updates and performance improvements?

6. tvbi macrumors member

jailbreak?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

I believe 8.1 is still being signed, so possible to update to that and still jailbreak.

8. sicdeath thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I was able to get it unlocked like you said. I also got the unlock message on itunes once I connected it afterwards. Also, if I do upgrade it to ios 9 in the future, will my phone become locked again?

9. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

No, it's unlocked for good now.

10. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

since iPhone 5, you no longer need to restore the iPhone, All you need to do:

A) Connect to WiFi (if using unofficial iPhone carrier = Carrier that does not sell iPhone's in its lineup)

or

B) Insert SIM and enjoy :)

Only iPhone's that require restore = iPhone 4S and older (in most cases, sometime work just fine but mostly do require restore)

Any factory unlock = you can upgrade/update iOS all you wish to, it will not get re-locked.

11. cuongnq macrumors member

Last time I request my iPhone 5 AT&T unlock, they response mail said unlocked, only need insert other sim or restore. But I tried all way, new sim doesn't work. So check few time in other place and it's said locked (some check take fee). I decided call AT&T again and ask they double check, then a mail said my request is approved but last guy didn't do unlock for my iphone.

So I think you double check your phone unlock status, if it's still locked ask your carrier again.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like said above its forever unlocked.
    You can restore and update it as much as you want.