unlock iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bischoff, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Bischoff macrumors newbie

i just got an iphone 3g locked to telus, and i want to unlock it so i can use it with rogers. from reading around it soubnds like you can only jailbreak it then unlock it. Is their a way to unlock the phone without jailbreaking it? and how would i do that

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Only if your carrier does factory unlocks. Otherwise you'd have to jailbreak in order to unlock.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I'm with Telus and I can vouch that they most likely won't unlock it for you unless you just ended a contract with them on good terms.

Your only other way is to upgrade it to 4.2.1 with iTunes and then use Redsn0w to jailbreak it and install the iPad baseband. Then install Ultrasn0w from Cydia.

4. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

What if he already is on an unlockable baseband?!?
    :)

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It's moot, because the OP doesn't want to JB, which isn't possible with a 3G.
    OP, you can't do it. Sell it and get a factory unlocked iphone. If you get a locked iphone 4, you can unlock with gevey with no JB; however, gevey doesn't work with ios 5. You'd be stuck at 4.x.x.

6. Bischoff thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i figured out how too.. the only problem now is i cant get the god dam thing into dfu mode lol stupid device. any suggestions