Unlock + jailbreaking iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by px3l, Dec 19, 2010.

1. px3l macrumors newbie

i am thinking about buying an iphone 4 on vodafone tomorrow, obviously its going to be locked onto voda, i currently have a contract (sim only) on o2, i just wanted to ask if there is a official (apple) or an unofficial (dev team i think?) unlock and jailbreak for the latest baseband and firmware version?

thanks

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

tethered Jb right now no unlock latest bb more info can be found via google.

3. px3l thread starter macrumors newbie

yeh i read some stuff about some dude called muscle nerd? releasing an unlock very soon?

whats tethered jailbreak?

4. R2d2me2 macrumors newbie

A tethered JB requires connection to a PC everytime you restart your iPhone or your battery dies.

It sux . . . Wait for the untethered jb

5. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Next time, google. A tethered JB means everytime the phone needs to reboot, after installing an app, battery dead and so on, it needs to connected to a computer and run the JB program to boot up normally.

6. declandio macrumors 6502

If you can stomach the upfront cost, and depending on the difference in tariff between your o2 sim only and Vodafone contract, consider buying the handset from Apple, unlocked forever with no messing around.... my old o2 tariff (30 day rolling contract) kills anything you'd get on 12-24 month contract now, so it was worth it for me... Also, Vodafone might unlock it for a small fee after a few months...

7. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Not after installing an app store app. I assume you meant after installation of cydia app that requires a reboot of the phone to install.

Really, a tethered jailbreak is not terrible like others are saying. Very rarely are you going to need to reboot your phone in the day to day activity...and how often do you people let your phone's battery die?

Of course it is not as good as an untethered method, which is what we are all waiting for. But if it were between no jailbreak and a tethered option, I would take the tethered jailbreak any day over stock iOS. ;)

8. noiceT macrumors 6502a

To be really specific, the current JB is actually semi-tethered, which means upon reboot or battery death, the phone won't be able to boot into JB state, but it'll boot up in stock iOS. HOWEVER, take this with grain of salt...as this depends on the types of JB apps installed. Any springboard connected apps for example once they lose their JB state, will inhibit the phone booting up, thus the need for hooking up to computer again.

9. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Or get the phone from O2 - they'll unlock it - no questions - as long as you honour your contract.
    What are you planning to do with the vodafone contract?

10. px3l thread starter macrumors newbie

getting it on voda because a friend of mine gets discount so i get the 32gb for 450...and i would like to put my o2 sim in it...i really need an unlock for it...ill see what version it is first

11. noiceT macrumors 6502a

If you're buying the iphone 4 now or soon, its most likely going to be on 4.2.1 and 3.10 bb. Even if you get an older batch, its still going to be 4.1 on 2.10...There is no unlock presently for either. There's talk of unlocks by xmas, etc. etc..but that's still just speculation, nothing is concrete until it happens. You're taking a risk buying a locked phone that you're not 100% sure you can use...

However, doesn't vodafone do unlocks for free anyway though?? As long as you honor your contract.

12. px3l thread starter macrumors newbie

yes but i heard that unlock codes will come out sooner or later? o2 unlock their iphones so im pretty sure there will be legitimate unlocks on other networks?

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

But still speculation when any unlocks legit or not will be available week,weeks, months.

14. noiceT macrumors 6502a

I dunno man, its up to you..but do you really want to spend that much money, AND jump into a contract merely on a chance..?

You might end up playing monthly's on a glorified ipod. All because you wanted a discount on the 32gb model~ do yourself a favor and either wait...(at least until January) or just pay extra and get an O2, something that you know you can unlock.

15. declandio macrumors 6502

If they're charging you that much for the handset it should be factory unlocked or they should unlock it no questions asked... otherwise they're screwing you, discount or no discount...