Unlock key for XP SP2 rejected

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rickdude40, Jul 24, 2009.

1. rickdude40 macrumors newbie

I've just installed a copy of XP sp2 on my macbook pro using the Bootcamp setup, and as far as I can tell it all went well. My problem is that now I have a popup saying that I have 30 days to unlock the product. The copy I used is one that came with the pc that I bought several years ago, and the key is the one on my pc. Because I purchased the xp copy with my previous pc I don't think I'm doing anything inapropriate, is there a way to unlock this software for my mac, or do I have to purchase a new copy?

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

If the key came with the PC then it's likely OEM. This means it's tied to the mainboard in that system.

If it's a retail key then you can phone Microsoft and get them to reset the activation.

3. rickdude40 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well this copy of XP did come with a Dell pc that I purchased 4 or 5 years ago, does this mean that I'm out of luck? Do I have any other options or do I need to purchase a new copy of XP?

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Even if if you have got an OEM copy, you can phone Microsoft and get them to reset the activation. Just tell them your PC broke and you have had a replacement motherboard fitted and they should give you an activation code.

5. rickdude40 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so I called in to Microsoft and explained that I was having a problem getting my key to work, they asked a few questions to verify that I was indeed the registered owner. After that they walked me through with a new key and all is good. Thanks for the help. Cheers.