Unlock mac has never worked

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iJohnnyG, Mar 28, 2017.

1. iJohnnyG macrumors regular

I've got a 5k iMac (late 2015) and an Apple Watch 1st gen. I've tried to unlock my iMac using my watch several times but it still doesn't work, was hoping the latest WatchOS would fix it but still hasn't.

Does anyone else have this issue or suggestions?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Have you set up two factor authentication? I had to set it up and reset it up a few times initially, worked perfectly ever since.

3. iJohnnyG thread starter macrumors regular

I have. I've had to do the same and have done a few times now, still nothing :(

4. jdag macrumors 6502a

I had to log out and back into iCloud on my Mac to get it to work.

5. iJohnnyG thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers, will give that a try.

6. Restlesslegs macrumors member

Restlesslegs

Similar setup here - 2015 riMac (and mbp late 2013) and Watch2, it exactly worked once for me on my macbook pro and never on my iMac, no matter what I tried. Gave up months ago...

7. iJohnnyG thread starter macrumors regular

Mine hasn't even worked once. Think I've given up too!

8. petsk macrumors 6502

petsk

It's working quite good with my Macbook 12" 2016 and a bit worse with my iMac 5k late 2015.

I'm probably unlocking my Macbook ten times per day with the watch and the failure rate is maybe 10%.

I don't wake my iMac every day and it seems like the iMac goes into some deeper sleep or just looses the connection to the watch when it's been on sleep for a couple of days. The failure rate is much higher with my iMac, maybe 30-50%.

I'm on a first gen SS watch.

9. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I am able to unlock my MacBook and iMac without too much issue. How far is your arm from the computer, and are there any objects between the two when you're attempting an unlock? Is the computer even attempting an unlock with the Watch? And of course, the obvious question: is your Watch unlocked when you're attempting the unlock?

10. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

I had problems when one 2012 MacBook pro was on our 5 GHz Wifi network.
    Changing the MacBook to 2.4 GHz resolved it and now it works 9 out of 10 times.

11. Ixidor macrumors regular

I also have Mac ID so if Apple Watch fails to unlock the first time, usually Mac ID would kick in a few seconds later.