Unlock macOS with Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by 212rikanmofo, Jun 17, 2016.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I saw this being demo'd at WWDC 2016, but I can't get it to work. Is there some kind of setting that we must enable?

2. treichert macrumors 6502

It's not yet available. See the release notes.

3. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

spooky2k

Read your release notes that come with the software. This, and many other things, aren't in the beta along with lots of issues. If you're going to jump on to a beta, be smart enough to read what you're getting in to and be informed.

4. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

THIS falls into the philosophy of "lets make everything as complicated as possible...lets outdo Microsoft"

5. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

You have to have two-factor (Note: not two-step verification) authentication setup on your iCloud account for this to work.

Once you have it setup it works perfectly.

6. andyt3 macrumors member

I disabled two factor verification about 15 minutes ago.

Still, when trying to enable it within Security & Privacy I still get the notification that I need to disable two factor verification. Hmm, maybe sooner than later it will catch up...

7. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

If you have "Two Step" verification activated on your iCloud account you have to first disable that by logging into your Apple ID account at http://appleid.apple.com.

Then you have to activate "Two Factor" authentication on an iOS device. - https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204915

8. hpman247 macrumors regular

I setup 2FA two weeks ago in preparation for this. I didn't even have 2 step verification on, so I just turned 2FA on, and this works brilliantly. :D

9. andyt3 macrumors member

Oops, got the two confused haha.

A few clicks, and all is well.

10. dimzen macrumors regular

dimzen

Thanks, got one more step forward, but now when I try to active Watch unlock, it hangs with "activating" and a spinning circle :/
    (I have my Mac set to Danish..)

Attached Files:

11. gppittjk macrumors regular

Ok I have an AW on wOS3 and an early-2013 rMBP on mOS Sierra. I have 2FA on for my iCloud account. But the option to enable unlock with Apple Watch still does not appear for me. Am I missing something?

12. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

Try rebooting your machine as well as your iOS devices/Watch. Mine worked straight away.

13. ncx5 macrumors newbie

I have early and it's missing as well. I saw an article where it's only supported on Late 2013 models, can't recall. Hopefully some will create a patch as it was available in the earlier betas.

14. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

Make sure you have a supported machine for this feature. I believe your Mac needs to be a model from 2013 or newer. Edit: Just saw you are on a 2013 rMBP. Option should show up under system preferences/security settings.

15. gppittjk, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

gppittjk macrumors regular

They don't show up. I've signed out and back into iCloud on my phone and my computer. I guess we're gonna get an update in a few days from Apple that "woops, we meant late-2013 or newer."

Edit: I tried searching for the setting, and according to the screenshot below, it is hidden. Any ideas how to fix this? My watch is paired to my phone. Do I need to BT pair it to my computer?

Attached Files:

16. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

Strange message. I hope it is compatible and it's just a glitch. Or it could be that the machine is not supported. Cross fingers.

17. old-school macrumors 6502

I've got the same problem. rMBP Mid 2015. Sierra and WOS 3 installed.

Had 2 step setup before, just enabled 2FA

18. gppittjk macrumors regular

Do you get the same message when you search for Apple Watch in System Preferences?

19. old-school macrumors 6502

Yes, I get the same thing. I could see the option when I had 2 step enabled. I disabled 2 step, then enabled 2 Factor and now it's gone. Quite annoying. I read that you need to be on the same wifi and have bluetooth enabled which I have. Don't really fancy setting my watch up from scratch to see if it'll work. Should have been straight forward as I have all the latest hardware. Copy and paste works fine.

20. jamdex macrumors member

Has the same problems, rebooting the Apple Watch sorted it.

21. old-school macrumors 6502

Thanks, rebooted mac and watch and that's brought the option back; just pairing now. When the watch rebooted the iPhone asked me again for iCloud password so I think it might be to do with the watch needing authorisation.

22. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

I just had the problem where my Mac would say, "Unlocking with Apple Watch," spin for a few seconds, then prompt me with a password. I discovered that the problem was my watch wasn't connected to my wifi. Now, I would argue that it should have worked with just Bluetooth, but whatever. I followed the steps on this page:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/05/how-to-ensure-apple-watch-is-connected-to-a-wi-fi-network.html

And got my watch to connect to Wi-Fi, which it finally did. (I've actually had this problem forever on my home network but just figured my watch was too far away from my router.) Now it works like a champ.

A little bit of info would've been nice, but, then they wouldn't be the Apple we know. :|

23. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

Are you guys sure about the 2012 rMBP not being supported? I read somewhere today it was. And when I search 'Apple Watch' in the settings, I see the same screen shot posted above, where it says 'Allow Apple Watch to Unlock the Computer Setting'. So its clearly hidden on my machine. I have restarted everything 3x with no avail. However, my 2015 iMac shows it no problem and works fine! Obviously I have two factor auth enabled.

24. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

2013 and later only, I believe.

25. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

I wonder why I get that message saying its hidden then...