unlock - need avice please

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 101gerard, Mar 25, 2010.

1. 101gerard macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I have an iphone since end of september - its a 3GS and has 3.1.2 firmware on it, I ran blackra1n on it to unlock and jailbreak it and everything went fine
    however the other day it refused turning on - i simply get the apple logo screen and it fails to proceed any further,
    this was not my actual problem - as this has happened before - to fix it (before) i simply put it into recovery mode and ran the restore in itunes

however now this time around when i go to do the restore it wont run the restore unless i upgrade it to firmware 3.1.3 (thx to apple) - i researched for a couple of days but got no answer to my problem - so one rush of blood to the head later and now im on the stock 3.1.3 with new bootrom

So at the moment i have no phone because my sim (O2 - network) wont work - the phone was origionally locked to the orange network in the uk

is there anything that i can do with regards to unlocking the phone for use, i understand that JB'ing is not yet possible and im not going to waste time asking when one will be out etc..

can apple/orange/O2 or anyone unlock the phone for a fee? or is the phone itself locked once it comes from the factory and thats IT...

thanks a lot for taking the time to look over this,

cheers,

Ger.

p.s. i know (now) that i could have prevented this situation by taking the precautionary steps and ran snowbreeze etc.. however once the phone was stuck (at boot up) was there anything i could have done?

2. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

You sir, are a dunglenut.

You researched about 3.1.3 and unlocking BUT STILL UPDATED? ...

There is a good possibility you will never be able to unlock again. Not at the next update, not at 5.0.

3. 101gerard thread starter macrumors newbie

i did a good bit of researching but i couldnt get an answer (not until today did i find this forum) - http://www.iphonealley.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15080

i even realised that the 3.1.3 with new bootrom was unbreakable - however nowhere did i find that after the restore i would be left with the new bootrom
    to be honest i was of the opinion (from researching) that the new bootrom only came with the new units and not with the upgrade.

anyways i understand i messed up - i said that in my first post - so repeating it wont really help

any advice - regards an unlock?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Nothing you can do now, but perhaps a tool will be available in the coming months.

5. 101gerard thread starter macrumors newbie

hey dhlizard,

thanks for the reply,

are iphones locked to a certain carrier (orange) when they come from production then? therefore meaning the only way they can access other carriers is if they are JB,

Also just to check - once my iphone was stuck in bootup - was there actually anything i could have done at that stage - i.e. as far as i can see the answer is NO because i would not be able to get my SHSH

thanks a lot,

Ger.

6. eshroom macrumors 6502

Unlocking with Orange costs £20 and you must have been a customer for more than 3 months. I'm not sure if you need the original sim. Best bet phone their customer services on 07973 100450.

All is explained in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=820282

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yea, if you hadn't updated.

Jailbroken 3GS phones with old bootrom (untethered jailbreak) which can go into recovery mode can be restored to a custom restore 3.1.2 IPSW without SHSH saved.

No chance of that now.

8. 101gerard thread starter macrumors newbie

hey eshroom,

thanks for the info,
    i rang orange but they couldnt do anything - since i didnt have the sim the phone was bought with,

however, i tried my luck with O2 (the carrier ive been using the iphone with) they were able to see the details of the phone and they also kindly sent off a request to apple for unlock

however as i dont understand the unlocking process my Q is - will it actually be possible for O2 to unlock this phone since they are not the network that the phone is locked to?

any info on the unlocking process at all may help,

thanks a lot,

Ger.