Unlock not working...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rtan, Mar 19, 2014.

1. rtan macrumors newbie

This is an AT&T iPhone 5. I have confirmation email from AT&T confirmed the phone is unlocked. I follow the instructions in the email to unlock, connect to iTunes and run Restore. When it's completed, I don't see the "Congratulation your iPhone is unlocked" message. When insert a T-Mobile SIM, it tells me Invalid SIM. I rechecked unlock status page from AT&T and it still says the iPhone is unlocked. I called AT&T tech support and they also tell me it's unlocked. I tried to call Apple but they tell me I have to pay $20 before they even take the call. What should I do?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Just because you don't need the congrats message doesn't mean it's not unlocked. Once the phone is done restoring, unplug it, insert the tmobile sim then connect back to iTunes. It should then activate and you'll see the unlocked message pop up.

3. nicholasss macrumors regular

AT&T has sent confirmation emails stating iPhones are unlocked when they really aren't. When you call AT&T, it's just a rep seeing the confirmation email that was sent to you so I doubt they would investigate it any further.

Submit the request again or check the unlock status online to see if it's unlocked.

4. damie45 macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to me, I didn't the "congratulation" message. But I tried tmo sim and it says tmo.

5. nicholasss macrumors regular

That message isn't always necessary. Sometimes you can just reboot with the new sim and it'll work.

6. Chief87 macrumors newbie

Are you sure it is not actually unlocked now?

7. nicholasss macrumors regular

Provide the IMEI and I'll check it.