Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Hey guys,

I am planning on going to the US in a month or two and I would like to take my iPhone 3G with me instead of buying a Pay&Go US phone for the trip.

I am currently on O2 Pay&Go and I have had it for almost a year and I was wondering if they will unlock my iPhone for me so I don't have to do it "illegally" and risk screwing up my iPhone 3G (never done an unlock before).

Is it possible? will they do it? or do I have to go down the other route ;)

Thanks in advanced for help :)

Northy

Oh who would be better carrier for Pay&Go sim for the trip? thinking Virgin at the moment as I have been with them in UK before and loved them, are they the same in the US?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I found SIM's in the US are pretty expensive compared to other countries I've visited. AT&T wanted $80 for one (including $50 credit) in their store - though you could get one for $20 or something in Chinatown.

So depending on how much you want to use your phone it may not be worth bothering.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
$30 for a sim card:eek: that is over the top lol.

Well I have settled for T-Mobile USA ($9.99 sim + $50 for 400 minutes, just enough I think) but IDK if O2 would unlock for me (I would need it unlocked for future trips into Europe as well)? anyone able to help?

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
$30 for a sim card:eek: that is over the top lol.

Well I have settled for T-Mobile USA ($9.99 sim + $50 for 400 minutes, just enough I think) but IDK if O2 would unlock for me (I would need it unlocked for future trips into Europe as well)? anyone able to help?

According to EU law they have to offer an unlocking service at the end of your contract.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Well I am on Pay&Go not contract (not going to have a contract for a while, not after last time) so what then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.