Unlock or Jailbreak....What to do>>????

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jv3g, Oct 19, 2008.

1. jv3g macrumors newbie

OK, I've had my 16g 3G for about 3 months. I'm not the smartest person when it comes to quickly adapting to the new technology, but I do know how to work my 3G very well.

I'm having the most dificult time right now in wether I should Jailbreak or Unlock my 3G, due to the fact that I live in Germany right now, but am going on a 1 month trip back to the states. I know Jailbreaking and Unlocking are two totaly different things from what i've heard/read, but I don't know how different in detail it is. The service I have out here is T-Mobile and the service where I'm going offers AT&T. I would love to have all the features and service I get right now to work for me where i'm going next. :confused:

PLEASE, I beg for someone to help me understand the difference in Unlocking and Jailbreaking...and what should or can I do to have my issue resolved......:(

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

jailbreaking = hack that allows you to install 3rd party apps, mess around in the file system, etc.

unlocking = allows you to use your phone on a network other than the one you bought it on

you can't unlock without jailbreaking, but you can jailbreak without unlocking. If you want to use your phone on AT&T in the States, you have to unlock it, jailbreaking alone won't do anything. But the 3G hasn't been unlocked yet... so unless T-Mobile will do it for you, you might be out of luck

3. jv3g thread starter macrumors newbie

So how do I get my service providers to unlock it for me..??? :(

4. ibbieta macrumors member

Are you certain you can't use the TMobile network in the States? I would check with them, if your phone is already able to access their network I don't see why you couldn't use it overseas.

5. jv3g thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll actually will be in Puerto Rico. :cool: The only service they offer for the iPhone is AT&T.. and that I know for a fact. :mad:

Even if they offered T-mobile, won't I be charged extra for using "roaming" if that still applies?? :eek:

Also another question....what if I used a sim card from AT&T for a prepaid plan {if they offer it}...will that work..???

6. yazzy macrumors newbie

hye i super need your help my iphone was stolen i need 2 get into the data how can i do it is it possible, i dont care about the lost phone its the data thats important my uni reports go threw my contacts me and the university so i need help!!!!

7. jv3g thread starter macrumors newbie

can anyone help me with an answer to this quote....:(

Thanx..!!!