Unlock Question! In AU

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glitchu1, Sep 24, 2007.

1. glitchu1 macrumors member

Hi, my parents just bought me back an 8gig iphone from the US and it looks AMAZING! anyway, I'm going to unlock it and use it on telstra out here. Im scared i will brick my phone tho...does anyone have any suggestions before i begin unlocking it? like really important things i need to do while unlocking it? Actually i don't know where to start..there are so many guides i have no idea which one to use :S

anyway any help would be greatly appreciated thanks,
    Chris

2. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Unlocking the phone would be easy... the hard thing would finding a data plan from Telstra that would not break the bank. Telstra does not know the meaning of the word "unlimited"......

3. Spanners macrumors member

It's very easy to actually do the unlocking... However the first step is activation. Do that first using the correct tools...(google is your friend) This will NOT damage you phone in any way.

Once that has been done. You can play with the phone and see what it can do. Once you are ready you can then unlock it using the specially created apps that do the job. Again google can help if you don't have them already.

Things to remember...

Don't panic at any point.
    Do not play with or restart the phone when unlocking.. Just let it get on with it.
    Make sure you do the unlock with the phone plugged in and ***IMPORTANT*** the autolock feature switched off.

I think I restored my phone 3 times before I got it right so take it easy and read the steps carefully. You can find the steps on how to do it by googling the "iphone dev team"

Good luck

4. cazlar macrumors 6502

I followed the modmyiphone.com wiki tutorial. One advantage to this one is it is easy to follow and has pretty pictures of every single step, as well as download links to all the things you will need (although I think their iNdependence link was old maybe).

So just read through it all, take your time and don't do anything stupid (like attempting it drunk), and it should be fine.