unlock read only hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tjcheney, Mar 18, 2012.

1. tjcheney macrumors newbie

I've recently purchased a seagate 1.5TB hard drive and it came with some software on it. i deleted these as i only wanted the hard drive in order to store movies music and pictures. I've already put files on the hard drive with a pc but i can't take them off on my mac or put any more on with my mac. it tells me it is read only. do i need the previous software that i deleted or is there a way to unlock it? if i do need the software is there a way of getting it back?:confused::(

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Drive is probably formatted NTFS by the sounds of your description. Back up the files and reformat it to a Mac format or if you need to use it on a PC and a MAC, leave it alone and put Paragon NTFS or similar on your Mac so it can read/write the NTFS file system.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Go into the Disk Utility, repartition it with a single partition and reformat that bad boy to HFS+ and should be all set.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I often read people suggest HFS+ but when im in disk utlitiy I dont see that in my drop down, ive never needed to use HFS+ in the context it was being suggested but out of curiosity what is it does it go by a new name in Lion?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple calls it the Mac OS extended format now. Same thing though.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks for clarifying

7. jevel macrumors regular

This is a real catch22, as your PC will not be able to read or write anything to the drive if you format it to HFS+.

The only format you will be able to use "out of the box" on both your Mac and the PC is FAT32. This will limit you to using files < 4 GB though, and if you need to store anything larger, you will have to use archiving SW to split the files. (Time consuming and tedious...)

A workaround is to enable NTFS r/w on the Mac. Here you can find a way to fix that.

-KJ

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.