Unlock System Preferences just once per session?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Michelasso, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Michelasso macrumors regular

Michelasso

Is there a way to have System Preferences asking the password only once to unlock certain settings ? This is an old issue I had. I just recently upgraded to a MBP and after the initial installation I am quite sure it was working as I wished: unlock System Preferences from anywhere and stay unlocked.

Then I did the assisted migration from my old MacBook disk, and now it is back again to always asking the damn password. It seems like there is a quite short time. Yes, i did try checking and unchecking the option in Security & Privacy/Advanced settings. I suppose it could be easily fixed deleting a plist file. The problem is that I can't figure it out which one. Unless I dreamed it could stay unlocked..

2. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Funny how it seems to work for a long time, then you get a new machine and it constantly asks for the password. I hated that. The only preferences that should ask for the password are the Users & Groups panel (though I suppose there might be another one buried in there somewhere), as well as the Utilities folder (for some silly reason).

This is pure speculation on my part, but "Assisted Migration" methods almost always screws something up—particularly when it's only partial migration (data only, not an entire disk).

3. Michelasso thread starter macrumors regular

Michelasso

Well, Migration Assistant did it's job right. It did it so well that it took into the new Mac this old issue! It's like having upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan, everything I had is working fine together with all my apps.

Still let me ask: is it a fantasy of mine or System Preferences using an administrator account can be opened with all settings already unlocked? I mean I am quite sure in the past (months ago) I had some occurrences where Glimmer Blocker was always unlocked for example. As I believe I didn't have to unlock the Security & Privacy setting before migrating.

4. Michelasso thread starter macrumors regular

Michelasso

Funny. Now GlimmerBlocker in System Preferences starts unlocked. Not sure what I did. The Clock, Accounts, Security & Privacy are always locked, though.