Unlock through AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alphaod, May 27, 2012.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Background: I had a no-commitment unlocked store iPhone 4S purchased release day (so there was no official SKU available, only the AT&T SKUs); I had to do an exchange a few months ago. My replacement was unlocked as well. I suspect this means Apple sold the phone unlocked and for all intents and purposes, the iPhone is factory unlocked.

Yesterday: I had an old factory unlocked 3GS which broke and I had Apple replace it at a good price. It's now locked again and I'm not even sure to what carrier (I have an idea, since I did buy this in Australia). Well I think it's locked (since it's won't activate; gives me the "There is a problem with your iPhone" error; also it's reboots constantly, symptom of being SIM locked and unable to activate), and the Genius Bar has no idea really. They have ordered me another replacement device (because they only had one 32GB 3GS replacement in stock), and we agreed it would be a good idea to order a replacement, "just in case."

I submitted an unlock request through AT&T and got a turnaround promise of 48 hours. That's sounds reasonable; my concerns is:
    1) Are my assumptions correct? My assumption is the phone is SIM locked to another carrier and not actually broken.
    2) Will they be able to unlock this device? My replacement is locked a SP other than AT&T.
    3) If they do unlock and my phone breaks again and I need a replacement, will the replacement be unlocked? Or do I need to go through these shenanigans again?

Thanks!

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Try http://www.imei.info/ Should tell you if its unlocked

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Carriers are normally only able to request an unlock for a device locked to their network.

4. alphaod, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012

alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

It says I have to register to check. :eek:

Time to create a new email account.

EDIT: forget that! I have to pay for them to check!

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Update: Looks like my replacement iPhone 3GS was indeed broken. AT&T tried to unlock it, but that didn't work. My replacement arrived today and it activated immediately with my non-AT&T SIM inside, concluding with the reassuring "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked" message.