Unlock watch from iPhone pointless?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by macgeek01, Apr 27, 2015.

1. macgeek01 macrumors 6502a

As far as I can tell it only works after you have put the watch on and unlocked manually. At this point it will work after you lock the watch manually while still wearing. Am I missing something? Thanks.

2. mynameisjosh macrumors regular

mynameisjosh

I don't really understand what you are saying. Sorry. But the purpose of this feature is, for example, in the morning you put your watch on... And then start your day and unlock your iPhone. It will automatically unlock your watch for you too. That way you don't have to do both. All it does is make it easier to just put your watch on and forget about it. As opposed to if the setting is off, you put your watch on, unlock it, then unlock your phone, then start your day. Or you put your watch on, forget to unlock it, but unlock your iPhone, and then you start wondering why you aren't receiving notifications on your watch.

Bottom line is its just to save a minor step I believe.

3. macgeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

In my experience you can't unlock the watch from the iPhone when you first put it on. It only works after I have put it on and unlocked directly from the watch if I then manually lock while still wearing.

4. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

You're experiencing it wrong.

5. macgeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it works differently for you?

6. macmurray, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

macmurray macrumors regular

If you take the watch off it locks, if you put it back on the watch is still locked. With watch still on and locked, unlock your iPhone and the watch automatically unlocks, no code require on the watch.

7. xcruser88x macrumors newbie

I agree - my unlock works the way you seem to be wishing it would. I put on the watch, unlock my phone with Touch ID, and the watch is unlocked.

8. macgeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info guys. I'll need to test more.

9. Che Castro macrumors 603

This is useful if you want to show the somebody the watch real quick
    You put it on them and instead of doing the pass code in front of them you unlock your phone to unlock the watch

10. macgeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is how I thought it is supposed to work which could be beneficial. I going to test more. Thanks.

11. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Thus far it's worked just fine that I've been able to put on my Watch in the morning, unlock my Watch with TouchID on my phone, re-lock my phone and go about my day.

12. Che Castro macrumors 603

13. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Yes I think they could but they would not be able to make purchases with it. They will however have your watch.

14. macgeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, and that article explains exactly how to do it when locked:

Hold side button until shutdown option appears.

Force touch and erase watch option appears.

Watch is now set back to factory defaults and can be paired to any compatible iPhone.

Would be nice to see some type of activation lock similar to iPhone.

15. Che Castro macrumors 603

What do you mean , it would restore as new , you just enter your Apple ID

16. macgeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I believe they meant someone wouldn't be able to make purchases with your accounts after a reset not that they won't be able to make purchases with their own credentials.

17. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I had one moment where the unlock watch when unlocking iPhone feature didn't seem to be working. Turned out I had Bluetooth off. For whatever reason, the feature doesn't seem to work when only connected via Wi-Fi.

At least, that seemed to be the case for me. Otherwise, it has worked as advertised. I strap on the watch then unlock my phone to see all the notifications I missed since when your watch is off you, notifications just go to the phone. It's a pretty natural progression for starting the day and is especially nice for us security conscious people who do not settle for a weak 4 digit passcode... typing passcodes in on the watch is a pain.

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The iPhones Touch ID will unlock both, make sure the setting is on

19. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

Without having to supply the previously used Apple ID first?

Indeed, that's what I had expected :eek:

20. macgeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps this is why it wasn't working for me. I may have been out of Bluetooth range.

----------

I was also able to get it to work when unlocked the iPhone with 4 digit passcode.

----------

No Apple ID required to erase.

21. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

Bugger, I hope that gets fixed soon.

EDIT I mean, erasing without Apple ID is fine, but it shouldn't allow to be set up as a new watch without asking for the previous Apple ID. Like the iPhone, so it's more or less worthless to thieves.

22. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Why would you manually lock the watch while still wearing it?

23. macgeek01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought this was the only time the feature worked which was the reason I thought the ability was pointless. Others informed it does work the way I thought was intended and is now working for me.