Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
This looks very interesting!

You'll soon be able to unlock any Windows 10 PC with a Samsung Galaxy fingerprint scanner
Given the popularity of Samsung's Galaxy handsets - many of which have fingerprint scanners - the ability to biometrically unlock Windows 10 PCs without having to buy extra equipment may well prove to be a handy (ha!) addition for owners of those devices.

In addition to the unlock function, the Samsung Flow app also lets users transfer content between their devices, as well as allowing them to monitor and reply to smartphone notifications on their PCs.

https://www.neowin.net/news/youll-s...-pc-with-a-samsung-galaxy-fingerprint-scanner

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Would love this on my Mac--kind of surprised Apple hasn't implemented it, only have the capability to unlock using an Apple Watch.

Would be even better if it could be used to unlock password managers like LastPass or 1Password on the PC as well.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Would love this on my Mac--kind of surprised Apple hasn't implemented it, only have the capability to unlock using an Apple Watch.

Would be even better if it could be used to unlock password managers like LastPass or 1Password on the PC as well.
We use KeyPass at my work for the 24 Active Directory domains we manage.
I would LOVE to have a work issued device that would let me unlock/lock my work laptop.

Reactions: tbayrgs

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Sounds awesome, but seeing as I only have a desktop pc, this may not suit me as much I want it to.

I imagine it's more easier to type in my PIN number than unlock through my phone.

Then again, this would be my first experience with something like this so it may just surprise me.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Meanwhile Apple is not even offering much on Mac besides TouchID on new expensive 2016 models. Windows already has sweet biometrics with Windows Hello. Galaxy + Windows equals a great future combo? Could never do this on my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.